Thread: Using conversion varnish over oil based finish

Using conversion varnish over oil based finish

Has anyone used conversion varnish over a cured oil based finish such as Waterlox. I’m trying to finish a large table top and have applied several coats of waterlox original and a few final coats of satin, but I continually get dust nibs in the finish that require sanding and another coat. I was thinking of letting it cure for a few days and then spraying a couple coats of conversion varnish over the top. The conversion varnish alone doesn’t give the deep rich color that the oil finish does.

Thanks, Dan

Please provide more information about what specific product you are considering to apply over the oil based varnish...."Conversion Varnish" can be different things depending on the manufacturer and specific product.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

MLCampbel envirovar clear satin

Since that's a solvent based product, you may want to ask ML Campbell if it will react with the existing varnish in any negative way. You don't want to end up with crazing if the products solvent can dissolve the varnish.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

You might try covering the surface right away with a large piece of cardboard about 6” to a foot above the surface. That will keep the dust off of it. Just make sure the cover is free of dust first, works for me.