View Poll Results: Freestanding or Against Wall?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Freestanding

43 79.63%
  • Against Wall

11 20.37%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Workbench: Freestanding or against wall?

The ability to extend workpieces off the back side would add versatility and would be a nice luxury. So I think I’d prefer freestanding. But that’s just from my mind’s eye. I’ve not worked that way.

So you are ambidextrous Jim?
    My tool tray is just over 6” deep so any plane will stand up if needed, that was my aim. It does complicate the top stretcher which became very large but that just adds weight where you appreciate it as part of the top.
    From left to right I have shoulder vise wracking fillers, blue tape, squares, ruler, plane mats, block plane, marking knives pencils and plane screwdriver. That is when the rest of my tools are not being used.

All our preferences are as individual as our work projects. Most of them are designed to enhance our productivity.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

I think both the size and position depends a lot on what you make, how you work, and your shop size/layout.

I have had both freestanding and against a wall but prefer the bench where I can get all the way around it even though I rarely make furniture or something even medium large. I have a several benches in the shop but the one I use the most is small (about 24"x60", laminated maple top, vise on the end), positioned between two lathes. In use here holding up some turning blanks!

WV_boys_IMG_20170319_154641_356.jpg

One advantage of freestanding is I have more flexibility and access for storage - that tiny bench has three wide shallow steel drawers, a couple of shelves, a rack for some woodturning tools, and a spot to keep face shield, safety glasses, and hearing protectors handy.

A narrow bench against the wall does allow for hanging tools within reach. I have one bench with shelves above and below. If my shop was larger I'd certainly have another, larger workbench, freestanding.

JKJ

I have both. The freestanding bench is my main workbench, the "against a wall" bench is an auxiliary bench. It gets a lot of use also, but freestanding is much more versatile.

Blog Entries
    So you are ambidextrous Jim?
    Somewhat, also there are times when rabbeting or cutting molding the grain direction is more advantageous for the work to be done left handed.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I have 2 benches. One has a tool tray the other does not. The one without the tool tray is the one I use. It is freestanding and is set up right hand one side, left on the other. There is a QR vise at each corner. I work all around the bench. I use all four vises. i would not want to have a bench against a wall. I work at both sides and both ends depending on the task.

My bench is freestanding and with a removable panel between table saw and the bench, it serves also as an outfeed table.

P1040104.JPG

Cheers,

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kraakenes View Post
    If you have the room to choose... do you prefer a Freestanding Workbench or against a wall?
    Dan, my bench goes close to the wall, so you might include it in the "against a wall" category. I could pull it out further, but I prefer it close to the wall. This position enables me to access hand tools more easily. There are tool cabinets above, and a tool wall at the rear. I also have a tool tray, although it is not attached to the bench, and is instead attached to the wall. I can and do pull the bench out further when needed, but 95% of the time it remains close to the wall.

The tool tray is behind the bench ...

I have rarely found a need to work both sides of a bench. I do find it more helpful to have a small second bench to the left for shooting and a sharpening centre to the right. These are just a step away - no negotiating a passage around the bench to get to them. The shop is much simpler this way.

An oldish photo ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

I plan to have both. A joinery bench against a wall and a free standing main bench in the middle of the shop.

If you have a large enough shop to consider both options, the next question is whether you have a window. If you put the bench against the wall under the window, you can work in natural light.

If you must work with a lightweight bench, you can brace it against the wall for stability. Otherwise, free standing is nice.

One reason I like to get at both sides of mine is that I use it for various kinds of work. For working with lots of small parts, I have one side of the bench without dog holes or holdfast holes -- just a clear surface so nothing will fall through. The other side has both.

freestanding is my choice...Access from all sides a big plus...
    Jerry

Blog Entries
    Interesting practical question. Thoughts:

Struck by how many on this thread have multiple benchs (I do), maybe more of a neccesity than luxury.

For me ability to access all sides is most helpful with reversing grain in large panels. Easier to move my fat butt than moving/reclamping work piece.

My experience is you can't have too much bench surface - between finishing, clamping glue ups, and actual work holding must be some universal law "crap that needs place will expand to consume all available horizontal surfaces".
    Cheers, Mike

Blog Entries
    My experience is you can't have too much bench surface - between finishing, clamping glue ups, and actual work holding must be some universal law "crap that needs place will expand to consume all available horizontal surfaces".
    The work benches back in high school shop class were about 7' square. How nice it would be to have that much space.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    The work benches back in high school shop class were about 7' square. How nice it would be to have that much space.

jtk
    Ours were like that in Jr High shop class too, with a vise on every corner. Four kids could mangle four boards with four planes at the same time.

JKJ

A work ‘bench’, a take off ‘table’, an assembly ‘table’, a sharpening ‘bench’, a drafting ‘table’, a lunch ‘table’, a sanding ‘table’, a router ‘table’; and more...
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!