Thread: Need new countersinks

Need new countersinks

Today, a 20 year-old 3/8ths countersink rolled off the table and was damaged. I can't remember where I got it or what brand it was.

Need recommendations for new ones. Thanks.
    "If only those heathen atheists hadn't taken God, Jesus, and the Bible out of schools, God and Jesus could have thrown a Bible at the shooter."

Fuller countersinks are up there and what I'd buy today if i needed a new one or a set.

M.A. Ford makes an excellent single flute countersink- the best I have tried. Fullers are very good as well, but I do not like the chatter that the 4 flute cutters make.
    The single flute is better in my opinion.

I bought a set of tapered drill/countersinks at Woodcraft on sale. They work fine imo (and dramatically cheaper than Fuller).

Otherwise I use metalworking countersinks when just wanting to countersink. Usually the single flute type (not the type that has a hole through the side). Agree the 4 flute cutters can chatter (less of an issue if drilling at the same time, but when just a countersink way too much chatter).

Blog Entries
    I also have a single flute preference. Pick your brand.

Inexpensive.

Not-so-inexpensive.

I have run the inexpensive ones for many years. Only HCS but, easily hones on the drill press to razor sharp.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I like the ones I got at lee valley
    http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...40,42281,71860

They have a nice stop that doesn't bruise the wood I believe they are Amana
    On amanas site there is 3 sizes

Spend a little extra and buy the countersink cage type. The 1/4 drive type max out around 3/8. You can buy cages with a plastic foot so the wood is not marred. easy depth adjustment within 1/1000 inch every time. Check aircraft supply stores and ebay. Ebay for the cages and watch out to get the correct angle as much aircraft stuff is 100 degrees.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have tapered bits and countersinks for drilling, but sometimes a stand-alone countersink is very useful.
    "If only those heathen atheists hadn't taken God, Jesus, and the Bible out of schools, God and Jesus could have thrown a Bible at the shooter."

This is one of the many 20% off items I toss in the cart if I do't have anything else to.....lower my cost of disposable tools.....on any given trip to the Far East Junk Store (aka Harbor Freight).

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-In-1-Hex-Bit-Countersink-Tool-68535.html

What can I say? They work for me & anyhow, I lose ten times as many as I break or dull.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

I use and like the Lee Valley ones a lot.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I use the Fuller CS. Top notch product. M.A. Ford's are also top notch.