Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blum Hinges weight capacity

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Blum's website will answer all your questions. For inset doors you need a full cranked hinge with a 0 mm mounting plate. For the 110° Clip Top w/ BluMotion it's P/N: B071B3750 for the screw-on type. There are several mounting plates you could use, including P/N: B175H910.

You could use a straight hinge, too, with an 18 mm mounting plate.

John
    If you have a face frame you would use the 1/2 cranked hinge and the FF plate (arm)

First you must decide on your door overlay and that will determine the hinge setback and plate height you need to use. If you have a face frames cabinet Blum offers hinge plates specific to face frames and hinge plates specific to Euro cabinets.

If you want to post information about your overlay and if it is a face frame or frameless cabinet I can look at the Blum catalog and recommend a hinge plates and hinge set back for the Blumotion 110. It is a very good hinge. "I attached the Blum Catalog sheet for the 71B3750" I hope this helps you out.

Bill
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by William A Johnston; 05-07-2019 at 7:40 AM.

Blog Entries
    My doors will be 3/4" thick, 14.5" wide, 28" tall with two 3/4" x 2" x 10" stiffeners on the back to resist cupping in the future. They will weigh about 12 pounds each based on the
    door.JPG

The doors will full inset mounted in a frameless cabinet just as shown below. The hinges will be screw mounted. I want the soft close hinges so the doors won't bang when closing.
    hingemount.jpg
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

So full crank hinges with 0mm plates. You'll need 2 per door. I usually space them at 3 1/2" on center off the cabinet. So whatever your door space (margin) is the 3 1/2" is measured from the cabinet to the door not the edge of the door to the center of the hinge. That way when you're placing your hinge plates it's a nice even number. My margin is usually 5/64". I make shims that are that thickness and use my edge sander to fit the doors into the cabinet. I use the shim to size the doors, when the shims slip in with just a bit of resistance you know you're there.

Leo is correct. If you use the 71B3750 Blumotion 110 degree screw on hinge use "0mm" plate 173H7100 Wood Screw Plate. Your boring distance on the cup on the door is 5mm so the center of the hinge will be 22.5mm and this will give you a reveal of 2mm which is basically 5/64". When you set the plate inside your cabinet box you will set it at 38.5mm + the thickness of your door. Most plates are set at 37mm but for the inset hinge it all changes. This will give you the margin of 5/64" like Leo was talking about. Take a look at the Brochure I posted and it will give you all the details about the hinge and set back. Like I said don't pay attention to the setback on the attached brochure because that is for your standard overlay and not an inset door.

I sure hope this helps.

Bill
    Attached Images Attached Images

I use 6mm from the edge for the 35mm cup hole and I like the 175H3100 in line plates personally. You do need a jig to drill the holes as they are hidden by the hinge when they are clipped on.

The 6mm works out to be the natural for the 2mm spacing. I've found that no matter what the hinges aren't adjusted all the same when you get them, but they are close.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I'm currently building a cabinet that will have two inset doors. The solid doors will be made of 3/4" hickory and will be 14 wide x 28 tall. I'm wondering what the load capacity for Blumotion self closing hinges is. Do I need two hinges per door or three because of the weight and or height. Each door will weigh about 12 pounds.

I'm also looking for a good source for blumotion self closing hinges for 3/4" thick inset doors. Hinge part numbers would be helpful.
    Lee,

Thank you for using our product! It sounds like everyone on here is giving the correct advise on the proper hinge, as well as the recommended number of hinges. Please don't hesitate to reach out to me if you have any other questions.

Our catalogs are all available at Blum.com or we have a new app, Easy Assembly, for both Android and iOS that may be helpful.

If you're not finding what you need online, Blum typically has several authorized distributors in each state that stock the majority of our line.

Aaron
    Blum Factory Rep