Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blum Hinges weight capacity

Blog Entries

Blum Hinges weight capacity

I'm currently building a cabinet that will have two inset doors. The solid doors will be made of 3/4" hickory and will be 14 wide x 28 tall. I'm wondering what the load capacity for Blumotion self closing hinges is. Do I need two hinges per door or three because of the weight and or height. Each door will weigh about 12 pounds.

I'm also looking for a good source for blumotion self closing hinges for 3/4" thick inset doors. Hinge part numbers would be helpful.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

You can find answers to nearly any question at Blum's website. For your door two hinges will suffice unless the weight is 15 lbs or more. If so, you'll need 3.

John

I buy Blum hinges from wwhardware.com

Lee,

If you do a Google search on Blum, you can go to the Blum site and download a free planning tool. With that tool, IIRC, you can put in the specifications and it will make recommendations. I used it on the hall closet doors I built from red oak a couple years ago.

I also buy my Blum hinges from wwhardware.com.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I buy from wwhardware.com sometimes, too, but when I need a lot of hinges or drawer slides, AH Turf (ahturf.com) has lower prices.

John

You will be fine. No way those doors would even come close to 15 lbs.

I just built doors for a kitchen sink cabinet that are 7/8" cherry and 19" wide and 29" tall. Only used 2 Blum 110° inset hinges and have no worries.

--Oops- missed where you listed the weight.
    Last edited by Dave Zellers; 05-05-2019 at 9:58 PM.

12 lbs for a 3/4" door that size? That seems like an awful lot.

Here is a diagram from the Blum literature that might help you. I don't know how old it is, so please go to the Blum website and double check. Their downloadable catalog should have all the info you need

blum-hinges-home-depot-cabinet-door-hinges-ng-how-to-adjust-regarding-hinge-adjustment-home-depo.jpg

10lbs per hinge. 20lbs for 2 hinges on a door less than 40". Pretty sure you can get away with 2 hinges. I generally base mine on the length of the door, not the weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    I buy Blum hinges from wwhardware.com
    Jamie, have you looked at WWExpress for hinges? I buy a lot of Blum 71T3550 110+ degree clip top hinges, and 715H6000 zero height cam adjustable plates. I pay $1.65 & $0.78 each for that combo at WWE; looks like wwhardware sells the same combo for $2.80 and $1.81.

Those are the only parts I compared, WWhardware may be more competitive on other items?
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by scott vroom View Post
    Jamie, have you looked at WWExpress for hinges? I buy a lot of Blum 71T3550 110+ degree clip top hinges, and 715H6000 zero height cam adjustable plates. I pay $1.65 & $0.78 each for that combo at WWE; looks like wwhardware sells the same combo for $2.80 and $1.81.

Those are the only parts I compared, WWhardware may be more competitive on other items?
    Get the soft close hinges. Night and day as far as I'm concerned. Usually about $4 or so each. I only use one per door and I use a normal self close for the other door.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    12 lbs for a 3/4" door that size? That seems like an awful lot.
    It is Hickory, it's dense and heavy wood. I am building some furniture out of hickory now because I love the look of it. It is heavy, machines like stone, not wood, and easily, depending on the density of the specific wood he's working with could easily be close to 10 pounds. Board weight calculator for Hickory of those dimensions is 6.3 to 9.9 lbs.
    Last edited by Justin Rapp; 05-06-2019 at 4:50 PM.

Blog Entries
    I'm looking at these hinges:
    hinge.JPG

So what is the difference between the base plates with regard to the 0 mm or 3 mm
    plate.JPG

Why wold I want one over the other?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

The plates thickness is used to set the position of the door. A thicker plate moves the door away from the hinged side of the cabinet.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I'm currently building a cabinet that will have two inset doors. The solid doors will be made of 3/4" hickory and will be 14 wide x 28 tall. I'm wondering what the load capacity for Blumotion self closing hinges is. Do I need two hinges per door or three because of the weight and or height. Each door will weigh about 12 pounds.

I'm also looking for a good source for blumotion self closing hinges for 3/4" thick inset doors. Hinge part numbers would be helpful.

Blum's website will answer all your questions. For inset doors you need a full cranked hinge with a 0 mm mounting plate. For the 110° Clip Top w/ BluMotion it's P/N: B071B3750 for the screw-on type. There are several mounting plates you could use, including P/N: B175H910.

You could use a straight hinge, too, with an 18 mm mounting plate.

John