Thread: Corrosion/Oiling Question Handscrew and C-Clamps

Corrosion/Oiling Question Handscrew and C-Clamps

Hi All,

I have a number of old C-clamps and handscrew clamps. This past fall I noticed that some of the big C-clamps were getting a bit corroded. Not bad, just more than I liked, but no pitting. I had them stored where I could not see them very well, and had not noticed the issue. I decided to take a wire brush to them to see if such would help. Wow! It took about an hour each, but afterwards they looked Great! (I haven't tried the brush on a handscrew yet.)

Then a problem: I though about using oil on the screws, or paste wax, to keep them nice and corrosion free. Then I read not to do that, maybe from one of the manufacturers, because the clamps will then slip, because they need friction to hold.

Anyone have experience with that, does slipping become a problem? Do any of you have suggestions or experience on how to prevent rust on them other than oil or wax?

Thanks and regards,

Stew

It won't make for spontaneous "unwinding " on the C clamps. I once put bees wax mixed with turpentine on some of
    the wooden hand screws, and that did make them unwind. Quick spray of carburetor cleaner on the threads fixed it.

Blog Entries
    I've lubricated some of my C-clamps with no issues.
    71QYS53sY7L._SX425_.jpg

I would not recommend lubricating the ratcheting style clamps nor bar clamps that have the angle metal adjustable grippers.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

If it moves, grease it. If it doesn’t move, paint it. The immortal words of the First World War British army. I’m sure the Royal Navy was the same. My grandfather was given a paint tin with brush and a grease pot and brush. Same for wood shop 101.
    Last edited by William Fretwell; 05-05-2019 at 9:53 PM.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

A few years back, FWW reported a comparison of various rust preventatives. Their top pick was CRC Industrial 3-36. I've been using it for at least of couple of years - no complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Ragatz View Post
    A few years back, FWW reported a comparison of various rust preventatives. Their top pick was CRC Industrial 3-36. I've been using it for at least of couple of years - no complaints.
    I use CRC 3-36 on my cast iron surfaces, and it's great. I've never thought of using it on screw threads.

My inclination would be to just leave the threads alone, I have some discoloration on some of my C-clamps, and it's never been a problem. You could even say it adds to how grippy they are.

If it bothers you, you could dip the C-clamps in EvapoRust, and wipe/blow off the excess. It could leave a slightly oily residue in the threads. With handscrews I'd be really careful about this (I don't know how the wood would react to it, and they're not supposed to be "lubricated".)

No reason to go expensive or seek out exotic lubricants with these. I've used 3-in-One oil on my C-clamps for years with no negative results. On my handscrews, I use a few drops of sewing machine, gun, or fishing reel oil every once in a while only if I notice any corrosion.

This.

I spray a fine mist of WD40 on moving parts.

Don't use a graphite lubricant!
    DAMHIK
    Carpe Lignum