Thread: Shipper recommendations

Shipper recommendations

Who is everyone using to ship packages med to large size? 40-60 lbs? I have been using FEDEX but their prices have skyrocketed.

Bob

What are the dimensions of your packages and where are they going? The USPS can ship packages up to 70 pounds as long as the combined length and girth are no more than 108 inches.

They got really ridiculous recently I have a package that is 40x43x15 weighing in at 35lbs and they want $240 to ship one state over
    Bob

Unfortunately, "everyone's" rates have gone up substantially for folks that don't have volume arrangements and there doesn't seem to be any consistency such that any one shipping option is "better" than another all the time. It's almost necessary to get costs from multiple options for each package at this point...which is a pain. I try very hard to use USPS Flat Rate or Flat Rate Regional whenever possible, but that doesn't help for larger or odd shaped things that cannot fit in the required post office provided boxes.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have seem recommendations to check with Fastenal for large stuff. Had no idea they did any shipping for people but, have read that a number of times over the past couple of years so there must be something to it. At least worth a phone call. Randy

I never used them but Fastenal does ship heavy packages store to store for a good price. I read Amazon is getting into freight forwarding. Does greyhound still do shipping?
    Bill D.

On edit; greyhound max weight is 100 pounds

http://www.shipgreyhound.com/e/pages/Home.aspx

https://www.fastenal.com/en/186/lega...ie-information
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 05-05-2019 at 12:09 PM.

Bob - And you dealing w FedEx directly ?

Account or walk in ?

Or through a third party like "Ship it" store ?

What is UPS quote for that shipment ?

Marc
    I'm pretty new here, not as as experienced as most. Please don't hesitate to correct me

Blog Entries
    I’ve had good luck with uship.com.

I would think fasenal would be in nicer neighborhoods then greyhound offices.
    Bil lD

Blog Entries
    Check with where you work. Several of the places I worked would let employees ship packages using the company UPS or Fedex account and let the employee pay the company rate for the shipping.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I would think fasenal would be in nicer neighborhoods then greyhound offices.
    Bil lD
    Probably not too many Whitewall Cadillacs parked outside Fastenal !

Marc
    I'm pretty new here, not as as experienced as most. Please don't hesitate to correct me

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Jeske View Post
    Probably not too many Whitewall Cadillacs parked outside Fastenal !

Marc
    I remember going to Oakland with my Mom at Christmas time to catch a bus to San Francisco. That was interesting in the 60's

I've had an account with Fedex when they were still RPS. I just don't do the volume shipping. I have a saltwater aquarium and where I buy fish if I spend $70 on fish I get free overnight shipping!! ( that is like one fish!!) I just shipped a 38 inch lazy susan to the west coast, I had to repackage it to get it under 40" (shipped $60) it was like 40x40x6 40lbs. A half inch literally on any measurement would put it in the $250 shipping. I had a customer in New York make arrangements with someone who stopped by in a van and picked it up, he said it was really reasonable, just can't remember the customer name. And Lee, I have been retired for about 15 years, they don't want me on any of their accounts

Bob