Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Re : "I do not have permission to view photos"

Considering the large amount of information available here and the vast range of members experience, I think $6/ year is very reasonable. It costs money to make this site happen not to mention a lot of hard work being put in behind the scenes.

My thanks to all of you who keep this site running!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    Someone correct me if i'm wrong. But would seem best to pay with PayPal. Keep Keith from having to open mail, deposit checks etc.. For SMC I would guess that could turn into a full time job.
    I like the PayPay option and use it to contribute - I signed up for the recurring monthly contribution so I won't forget to renew next year. Like using PayPal for anything, I get an email for every transaction making it easy to monitor.

JKJ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    Oh come on Frank. What planet are you living on.

I don't have an issue with encouraging the membership to become a paid contributor, but there needs be a line drawn in the sand on how far that discussion is allowed to progress.
    My comments applied to, as i said in my post "a number of other replies". That doesn't mean all of them. While I think James Waldron made valid assessment, I agree that something that harsh should not have been posted here.

But let's circle back to your question to me: "Oh come on Frank. What planet are you living on" You are chastising me for something I didn't actually do with an insulting comment. Please, let's keep things a little more civil.

Just so you guys know how much things have changed in just the last twelve months........

One year ago our banner views were between 15 to 17 million per month.
    Today we are averaging 44,000 per month.
    We know exactly what our stats are and so does everyone else who is hosting on the Internet.

Advertising blockers will ultimately force unimaginable changes to the Internet. Not just here, it will happen everywhere that services have been traditionally provided for free. I'm honest and admit the numbers have fallen into the basement. Other organizations are hiding the effects as long as they can to protect their financial interests. Don't believe me, look at what happened to Photo-Bucket. Chances are every one of you know someone who left Photo-Bucket when they stopped providing free picture hosting. Millions of pictures disappeared overnight at forums everywhere when Photo-Bucket stopped their free hosting service. They were hosting pictures for free because the pictures sold advertising banners. Ya cut off your nose to spite your own face folks, but that's where we are at now. Wait For It.......
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 05-08-2019 at 10:41 AM.

Blog Entries
    Keith, I agree that we're going to see some major changes in the 'free content' arena and the root of it is people using ad blockers. The problem is that most are not cognisant of just what is paying for that content. I think a large part of the blame lies at the feet of tech writers that review and recommend ad blockers without include a paragraph explaining just what roll ads play in the ecosystem.

I'll single out Steve Bass, a former writer for PC World (and a very good one at that) who used to regularly talk about what ad blocking program he used & how gleeful he was for not having view advertisements. Well, thanks a bunch Steve. Look where we're heading now. But he is by no means the only guilty party here.

And then there are those that declare that all knowledge must be freely accessible with no cost or barriers to access. What a ridiculous & naive notion that is.

End rant.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    Keith, I agree that we're going to see some major changes in the 'free content' arena and the root of it is people using ad blockers. The problem is that most are not cognisant of just what is paying for that content. I think a large part of the blame lies at the feet of tech writers that review and recommend ad blockers without include a paragraph explaining just what roll ads play in the ecosystem.

I'll single out Steve Bass, a former writer for PC World (and a very good one at that) who used to regularly talk about what ad blocking program he used & how gleeful he was for not having view advertisements. Well, thanks a bunch Steve. Look where we're heading now. But he is by no means the only guilty party here.

And then there are those that declare that all knowledge must be freely accessible with no cost or barriers to access. What a ridiculous & naive notion that is.

End rant.
    I think it's just as much the fault of websites that were irresponsible in how they included advertisements. It was always very unobtrusive on SMC, but some sites go so overboard. Specifically with mobile sites, I can't tell you how many times I'd be scrolling down a page, and there were so many ads that they were still loading. When I tried to click something, the site would bounce (because ads were still loading) and I'd end up clicking an ad that wasn't there a minute ago. Issues like these are why people moved towards ad blockers.

The last time I was at a craft show, every small time operator there had the ability to accept credit cards directly. I would be a lot more quick to pay the $6 if I were able to pay SMC that way. I do not like Paypal as a company and I don't write checks any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mitchell View Post
    I think it's just as much the fault of websites that were irresponsible in how they included advertisements. It was always very unobtrusive on SMC, but some sites go so overboard. Specifically with mobile sites, I can't tell you how many times I'd be scrolling down a page, and there were so many ads that they were still loading. When I tried to click something, the site would bounce (because ads were still loading) and I'd end up clicking an ad that wasn't there a minute ago. Issues like these are why people moved towards ad blockers.
    +1 in agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    The last time I was at a craft show, every small time operator there had the ability to accept credit cards directly. I would be a lot more quick to pay the $6 if I were able to pay SMC that way. I do not like Paypal as a company and I don't write checks any more.

Paypal is no less direct than Square, which is how most of those small time operators accept credit cards... whose board of directors has old PayPal execs on it

Blog Entries
    Agreed. With responsible ad placement we would'nt have near the problem we do.

As has been noted, you do not need a PayPal account to pay the contribution to SMC...on the Donate page, click through until it gets to the PayPal login pop-up. Below the login is another link to simply pay by credit card. PayPal is merely the processor just like other processors for the transaction. All of the small businesses at the craft shows are using a card processor for the transaction and some of them are using PayPal's system, just as others are using Intuit or ETSY or Square, etc., depending on where they acquired their reader from and where they chose to do their business.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I very much agree. I finally went to an ad-blocker when a site I visit regularly started doing an ad that essentially filled the screen for 10 seconds before minimizing to the top of the page. Really irritating. I'm sure the sales people were telling the advertiser "We'll make sure people view your ad."

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I am quite certain that Paypal didn't process the transaction for free. I hate the thought of giving the company even a few cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    As has been noted, you do not need a PayPal account to pay the contribution to SMC...on the Donate page, click through until it gets to the PayPal login pop-up. Below the login is another link to simply pay by credit card. PayPal is merely the processor just like other processors for the transaction. All of the small businesses at the craft shows are using a card processor for the transaction and some of them are using PayPal's system, just as others are using Intuit or ETSY or Square, etc., depending on where they acquired their reader from and where they chose to do their business.

I am quite certain that Paypal didn't process the transaction for free. I hate the thought of giving the company even a few cents.
    I understand that...but maintaining multiple processors for a small business is a bit inconvenient and sometimes costly. You've probably actually given them a few cents from time to time without even knowing it!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I write virtually no checks either (1 or 2/yr, maybe?), and yet I issue a lot of them.

My bank offers a payment service on their website. I just logon tell them who, where, how much, and when to deliver >> hit send. Save the Payee if I'll use them again. I'm done and no fees, not even postage. Bank prints a check and mails it. I can even do the same from my phone. Many large check receivers, like electric utility, have agreements with banks to electronically process it, so a paper check is never even cut as I understand it - - and the float is same day or at worst overnight, just tell the service the due date.

No free lunch - the semi-hidden cost is that the bank deducts the funds from the account as soon as the check issues - not when it clears. Result is that I lose the 3-5 days of float that a paper check in transit with the USPS would normally have. I don't play any 'float games', and it is a non-interest bearing, cash flow account with a low balance, so lost interest is minimal. Just remembering to buy stamps is a PITA, so convenience is worth it to me.

I won't mention any bank in particular. I've found them to be just as polarizing as politics & religion.
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 05-08-2019 at 12:03 PM. Reason: typo