Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Re : "I do not have permission to view photos"

Let me get this clear in my mind. A six dollar donation gets access for a year, which seems reasonable enough but it seems the only method of paying is via PayPal. What is the reason for that?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert A. Winter View Post
    Let me get this clear in my mind. A six dollar donation gets access for a year, which seems reasonable enough but it seems the only method of paying is via PayPal. What is the reason for that?
    If you scroll down to the bottom of the page you will see the name and address where you can mail a check. That's the way I donate.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

It's easy Frank. If I pay advertising dollars to SMC, SMC creates a link/hot button as part of the advertisement to my website. Once I start advertising at a website, if I don't get an increase in hits on my website, I know I am wasting my advertising dollars.

Every time you post, your post leaves your IP address with that post. The Moderators at SMC have the ability to see that IP address. There is free software available to tell someone where a given IP address is located. Thus even though you don't have your location listed in your personal data viewable by everyone, the Moderators can see you IP address and can locate the general area for which the IP address is assigned. My IP address shows I am in Lewiston, ID but I freely acknowledge that.

Any time you go to a website, you leave a record of you visit.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    If you scroll down to the bottom of the page you will see the name and address where you can mail a check. That's the way I donate.
    Seems a tad third world. I write maybe a dozen cheques a year. I can use PayPal although it is a long time since I have been on their site. I still have cash there left over from my eBay days. Never transferred it out because they want to nail me for exchange.

Blog Entries
    I write maybe a dozen cheques a year.
    I remember writing cheques. But I bet I've only written 1 in the last dozen years

Robert,

If method of payment was really the only objection, I'm sure if you email the administrator he will find a solution that works for you.
    IMO Paypal is about as mainstream as any other method of payment for online transactions. For those that might not know this, you can attach your credit card to your Paypal account as well as link it to your bank account. In this way Paypal becomes the same as using any credit card, or writing a check and in involves no additional cost to the sender of the funds (but it does for the recipient).

I'm not sure what other conventional options there might be.

BTW, I highly recommend using 2FA (two factor authentication) with Paypal, Ebay, Apple, Google, any sites through which you are transacting business. The use of 2FA raises the barrier for a hacker several orders of magnitude.

DISCLAIMER - I see you are from Canada. I *think* all of what I have said above is still valid, but I'm not 100% sure if there are differences in linking a CAD bank account or if it operates the same way as linking a US account.

Edwin
    Last edited by Edwin Santos; 05-07-2019 at 4:23 PM.

Seems a tad third world. I write maybe a dozen cheques a year. I can use PayPal although it is a long time since I have been on their site. I still have cash there left over from my eBay days. Never transferred it out because they want to nail me for exchange.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    I remember writing cheques. But I bet I've only written 1 in the last dozen years
    To each their own. I prefer to write checks.
    Ken

You don't need a PayPal account to just pay a vendor with a credit card if you want to make your contribution without mailing a check. When you get to the PayPal "login screen", just use the link below the login to pay with a CC directly. PayPal is just the "clearing house" for the transaction. Of course, any CC you use might have a foreign exchange fee, although many do not these days.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

9. About Peter:
    • He began by blaming his wife's aggravation at the time he spends on forums and his fear she would beat him up if he spent $6 per year for a forum.
      • When he saw responses that suggested marital counseling or divorce court and gently questioned his manhood, he changed his position.

• He pleaded penury because his combination of government benefits and a pension left him on a fixed budget that couldn't be squeezed to get $6 per year, or $0.50 per month, or $0.0164383561643836 per day.
      • Oh, bad me! I didn't convert to CA$, so he would have to do that himself.
      • And then a number of other folks on fixed income poo-pood his argument; one Starbucks coffee would cover a year. Three Cokes or Pepsis would cover a year. And he had nothing to say.

• Then, when another Contributor offered to pay for a year for him, he said thanks but no thanks, he's still moving on.

In my view, Peter was blowing smoke where it don't belong. So now we know: it wasn't about the money. It wasn't about his poverty. It wasn't his wife's fault. But we still don't know why he is leaving. It's very clear he doesn't value SMC -- even when it's free -- to stick around.

Since he's a Contributor, his position here has been quite strange. If he can't/won't afford $6 per year, how did he get to be a Contributor?
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

Quote Originally Posted by James Waldron View Post
    When he saw responses that suggested marital counseling or divorce court and gently questioned his manhood, he changed his position.

But we still don't know why he is leaving.
    Well yeah, those are just the kind of responses that make a person feel wanted and welcome.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Well yeah, those are just the kind of responses that make a person feel wanted and welcome.
    +1. I was thinking the same as Lee. No offense intended to anyone, but we (the Community) were kinda hard on him.
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 05-07-2019 at 8:51 PM. Reason: Clarify
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    +1. I was thinking the same as Lee. No offense intended to anyone, but we (the Community) were kinda hard on him.
    Were we though? When a member posts about a problem or issue he's having, it is the role of other members to offer solutions. This being the off topic sub-forum, there is a wide range of subjects discussed. He had an issue; people responded with suggestions.

Speaking for myself, what he wrote seemed incomprehensible to me. But I gave him the benefit of the doubt & offered what I genuinely felt was an option that would help him. Reading his subsequent posts just gave me the impression that he was just trying to... I don't know what.

I thought a number of other replies to his posts were incredulous, but not mean spirited.

Were we though? When a member posts about a problem or issue he's having, it is the role of other members to offer solutions. This being the off topic sub-forum, there is a wide range of subjects discussed. He had an issue; people responded with suggestions.

Speaking for myself, what he wrote seemed incomprehensible to me. But I gave him the benefit of the doubt & offered what I genuinely felt was an option that would help him. Reading his subsequent posts just gave me the impression that he was just trying to... I don't know what.

I thought a number of other replies to his posts were incredulous, but not mean spirited.

I dont think anyone was trying to be mean spirited either, Frank. I just felt bad for the guy. Maybe I'm a little more more "touchy" than other people though. FWIW, I'm guessing Peter became a contributor because some kind soul sent Keith a donation in his name.

Have a good one.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    You don't need a PayPal account to just pay a vendor with a credit card if you want to make your contribution without mailing a check. When you get to the PayPal "login screen", just use the link below the login to pay with a CC directly. PayPal is just the "clearing house" for the transaction. Of course, any CC you use might have a foreign exchange fee, although many do not these days.

What Jim said.

I don't use or know anything about payPal. When paying my dues for SMC it is just like paying for anything on the web with a credit card. Guess PayPal is just the one who processes it.
    Someone correct me if i'm wrong. But would seem best to pay with PayPal. Keep Keith from having to open mail, deposit checks etc.. For SMC I would guess that could turn into a full time job.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Oh come on Frank. What planet are you living on.

I don't have an issue with encouraging the membership to become a paid contributor, but there needs be a line drawn in the sand on how far that discussion is allowed to progress.

About Peter:

• He began by blaming his wife's aggravation at the time he spends on forums and his fear she would beat him up if he spent $6 per year for a forum.
      • When he saw responses that suggested marital counseling or divorce court and gently questioned his manhood, he changed his position.

• He pleaded penury because his combination of government benefits and a pension left him on a fixed budget that couldn't be squeezed to get $6 per year, or $0.50 per month, or $0.0164383561643836 per day.
      • Oh, bad me! I didn't convert to CA$, so he would have to do that himself.
      • And then a number of other folks on fixed income poo-pood his argument; one Starbucks coffee would cover a year. Three Cokes or Pepsis would cover a year. And he had nothing to say.

• Then, when another Contributor offered to pay for a year for him, he said thanks but no thanks, he's still moving on.

In my view, Peter was blowing smoke where it don't belong. So now we know: it wasn't about the money. It wasn't about his poverty. It wasn't his wife's fault. But we still don't know why he is leaving. It's very clear he doesn't value SMC -- even when it's free -- to stick around.

Since he's a Contributor, his position here has been quite strange. If he can't/won't afford $6 per year, how did he get to be a Contributor?
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 05-08-2019 at 1:08 AM.