Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Re : "I do not have permission to view photos"

Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    Ken, there are plenty of free sites to exchange information, ideas and enthusiasm about woodworking. I'd list some here but, the diffident rules would soon have them blocked.
    I invite you to go to those sites then.

Speaking to nobody in particular. Keith and Jackie own SMC. Keith has made his decision. Continued public nagging, criticizing or whining about his decision is just harassment by those who don't have a dog in the fight, who take advantage of Keith and Jackie's good nature, generosity and then have the gall to criticize those who have been providing a free, largely unappreciated service. Go! Quickly! Quietly!

When I left the manufacturer's site, I left because I saw people (not me) being heckled, criticized and denigrated in public for asking seemingly innocent questions. The attacks weren't on me but frankly I don't and won't be aligned with uncivil and often profane behavior. I don't want to known for that type of behavior though after 4 years roughnecking on oil rigs and 8 years in the US Navy, I can handle my own under given circumstances. When I left that site, I didn't complain, whine or even notify the manufacturer's website I was leaving, I just walked away and came to SMC.

Too often I think people in today's world people think that having access to the internet and using "pseudonyms" (which at SMC in violation of the TOSs), gives them the right to have and use "keyboard bravado" to challenge, intimidate and insult others. They say things they wouldn't dare say to someone's face. I tire of seeing Keith being attacked for his decision. SMC is his business and it's his decision. Those that complain having nothing invested and would prefer that he continue in business until he has another business bankrupted by SMC? Absurd.

Get over it! SMC is just a woodworking website that is more civil than most because of the TOSs and Moderators. If SMC dries up tomorrow, I will greatly miss it. If it dries up tomorrow, the same callous jerks whining here today will be at other websites crying about the demise of SMC and typing their "I told you so!" without ever saying they don't understand because their information was "so valuable". Without a website, anything that might have been posted at this website is worth nothing! Your information doesn't pay the bills. That's the problem.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 05-06-2019 at 8:05 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Loeblein View Post
    Keith, What's the best way to cover someone else's $6 fee when we donate? Should I select the $6 amount a 2nd time, but then list the other member's account name in PayPal?

Peter, Will you be sticking around if your fee was covered for the year?

Looks to me he is a Contributor. Look under his name.

Keith, What's the best way to cover someone else's $6 fee when we donate? Should I select the $6 amount a 2nd time, but then list the other member's account name in PayPal?

Karl, make your own contribution first and once you get Contributor status and can use private messages, send Keith a message indicating that you want to gift a subscription to [insert name here]. You can then make the payment via the donate button or send a check to the address at the bottom of the Donate page. This is how I've done it over the years personally. Keith has to manually uplift the individual you want to help.

Jim
    Forum Moderator
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Karl: That was a classy and kind thing to do. Thank you for trying.
    Peter: I'm sorry to see you move on. Take care and work safely.

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    The announcements are at the top of every Main Forum Page. Go to the General Woodworking Forum, Turners Forum, Neanderthall Forum, etc and look at the top of the page. You can tell that a large number of people don't even know that we have Announcements
    You’re right. I never see announcements. From the main page, I click on “New Posts” and then go to read stuff from there. Neither of those pages show announcements. I’d guess that a lot of people do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Beall View Post
    You’re right. I never see announcements. From the main page, I click on “New Posts” and then go to read stuff from there. Neither of those pages show announcements. I’d guess that a lot of people do the same.
    I’d guess not. I’d bet the way you view the site is likely not the way most do. By clicking “what’s new” you’ll get all recent posts in every forum. I don’t do any metal working (yet!) or laser stuff so I don’t need/want to see those posts.
    I think most have their favorite sub-forums and browse those only. New posts go to the top of each forum.
    Instead of clicking “new posts” choose any of the sub-forums like General Woodworking or Workshops or Off Topic. At the top of each page in yellow (mobile view) or blue (full site - desktop/tablet view) are the announcements.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    I’d guess not. I’d bet the way you view the site is likely not the way most do. By clicking “what’s new” you’ll get all recent posts in every forum. I don’t do any metal working (yet!) or laser stuff so I don’t need/want to see those posts.
    I think most have their favorite sub-forums and browse those only. New posts go to the top of each forum.
    Instead of clicking “new posts” choose any of the sub-forums like General Woodworking or Workshops or Off Topic. At the top of each page in yellow (mobile view) or blue (full site - desktop/tablet view) are the announcements.
    I'm one of those people who only views new posts. I have my URL set up to only give me new posts in forums I want. Here's the URL I use when I connect to SawMill Creek - www.sawmillcreek.org/search.php?do=getnew&include=3,4,7,10,12,16,23,29, 39,40,43,44

Each forum has a number and you can select what forums you want to have new posts returned to you. Click on that URL and you'll see how it works.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I'm one of those people who only views new posts. I have my URL set up to only give me new posts in forums I want. Here's the URL I use when I connect to SawMill Creek - www.sawmillcreek.org/search.php?do=getnew&include=3,4,7,10,12,16,23,29, 39,40,43,44

Each forum has a number and you can select what forums you want to have new posts returned to you. Click on that URL and you'll see how it works.

Mike
    I do something similar to Mike. I view only new posts, using the "new posts" button. I'll try out the URL approach to refine that a bit. Thanks Mike.

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I'm one of those people who only views new posts.
    +1. I am too. I currently use the "new posts" button, but I'll try Mike's idea out.
    Fred

Interesting. I guess I thought it would be too much to wade through, but if you can filter the results I suppose that works.

I prefer going through the sub-forums one by one and seeing the activity.

So lets get this straight.If you are not a subscription payer you can not see photos any more?? But you can still post?? Can you post photos for others to see?? When will this become a full blown subscription paying forum??
    John T.

At least another month. That's how long it will most likely take for everyone to have visited and get the word that we are making changes.

Blog Entries
    I wonder what percentage of forum members use ad blockers. To my way of thinking, if you use an ad blocker, then you have no right to complain about subscription costs, or even if the site even closes down. I can't imagine that regular users would block the ads.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    I wonder what percentage of forum members use ad blockers. To my way of thinking, if you use an ad blocker, then you have no right to complain about subscription costs, or even if the site even closes down. I can't imagine that regular users would block the ads.
    Frank, I suspect it doesn't matter whether or not members use it. If the advertisers perceive that everyone as a matter of convenience are using adblockers, they won't advertise. Keith has already stated many times the amount of advertising dollars has decreased remarkably.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Frank, I suspect it doesn't matter whether or not members use it. If the advertisers perceive that everyone as a matter of convenience are using adblockers, they won't advertise. Keith has already stated many times the amount of advertising dollars has decreased remarkably.
    Can advertisers tell if a blocker is used? I know very little about that end of the internet. Or any end for that matter.