Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Re : "I do not have permission to view photos"

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    I read Peter's copious posts over the last month and don't see where he disparaged anyone. Looks like he will be an asset where ever he winds up.
    Wade, I'd argue that publicly complaining about the upcoming subscription only format is disparaging. Peter is the one who brought up his personal situations. I only replied to that because I too am retired, on a fixed income and have financial obligations to meet. That's life. I find $6 annually a trivial amount and have a hard time believing most people who are woodworkers, have internet service and a computer to post, can't afford $6.

For the umpteenth time. Keith and Jackie have suffered enough financial hardships in the past for the benefit of SMC while contributing hundreds of hours behind the scenes to provide SMC for our benefit primarily. It's like being a dairy farmer. You can't get away from it because it's located a short distance from your home. I know. I visited them for a couple hours, a couple years ago .

Like Dan, I am ever indebted for what I have learned from those who post here, for the information I gained here at SMC. I hope that SMC is able survive as resource subscription based or otherwise for many years to come. I came to SMC from a manufacturer's forum where a couple of self anointed experts ruled the roost in an unkindly manner and if you were a "newby" (I hate that term) who asked a question you were publicly and verbally whipped. One guy said he was leaving, he'd found a forum where people were humane, kind, considerate, and an inexperienced woodworker could ask a question without enduring a public bashing. He mentioned the name SawMillCreek.org and I haven't been back to that manufacturer's forum since. The manner I built my shop was influenced by SMC members, the tools I have bought and placed in my shop were influenced by SMC members. The woodworking I do has been influenced by SMC members.

And yet...…. without SMC, the information would not have any value at all to anyone but the person who has the information in their head. If Keith says the income being generated won't support the website, then either revenue needs to increase or expenses decrease to keep the Creek from drying up. Again. I don't believe most people appreciate the amount of work, Keith, Jackie and Aaron have given to keep the Creek flowing in the past.

IMO, it's the civil attitude maintained by the TOSs and the Moderators here at SMC that allows the true value of the information of the members be enjoyed.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 05-05-2019 at 10:56 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Christensen View Post
    Yup a glass of wine in a restaurant costs more but marital discord is not priceless. It isn't the amount, it's the principle. Other than a small pile of US change in the piggy bank I don't have any US to mail. All our accounts are joint and the boss is in them all so no hiding any transactions. The reasons might sound piddly but each person has to decide for themselves.
    Peter,

My reply to you was an attempt to layout a senario in which your wife would place some value on your participation here thus eliminating any heat you'd receive from an annual contribution.

I was just making a suggestion that could possibly align your wife's interests with your own, a win-win in my book. Play your cards right and she might start buying lumber for you!

Everyone has to make their own decision on whether they consider it worth $6 to be part of this forum. The benefit I get far out weighs the small cost. Just in entertainment value alone. How many have Netflix? $12.99 per month. Do you use apple iCloud? .99 per month for it. Do you get coffee or pop at the gas station? Even every other month and you have spent more than the $6 a year. If you have never benefited from the Forum's or gotten any useful information then you are in the minority. I'm like Dan, I fear this site may feel to be here if we don't do our part.

Yup a glass of wine in a restaurant costs more but marital discord is not priceless. It isn't the amount, it's the principle. Other than a small pile of US change in the piggy bank I don't have any US to mail. All our accounts are joint and the boss is in them all so no hiding any transactions. The reasons might sound piddly but each person has to decide for themselves.
    It sounds like a pretty sad situation. Perhaps you could sell something to make a little cash, maybe a garage sale? Recently I went back to Centurylink and savedabout $40 per month by dropping home phone service and got faster internet to boot. I think if you look around there are ways to get more value for your $. Because of this site I rarely buy woodworking magazines and that saves me way more than $6 per year.

Same, here, 49 years next month. I'm still learning, though and maybe one day I'll get better at it.

One thing we decided at the outset was not to let money be an issue. We each have our interests and joint and separate budgets and NEVER question the other on expenditures of money or time. When we run low we change our ways. We do discuss somethings in advance, like buying a new tractor or car or remodeling the house.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    I feel sorry for someone if their wife busts their chops for reading a forum for a few minutes or spending a small amount of money.

It just sounds petty to me. Been married almost 50 years now and never let something this small be a source of a disagreement. There are too many important things to discuss. You do not bust your spouse's chops ever.

Maybe worst excuse ever for leaving a forum.

Blog Entries
    I've been a member for a couple years and don't dispute the value of the forum or the reasons for needing to charge a small fee to keep the place running. However every week or two SWMBO busts my chops about the amount of time I spend on the forums. If she found out I was paying even a small amount to be able to read a forum my days on them would be numbered . I've liked it here but I will be one of the ones that fades away.
    All the best
    Pete
    You're the one that brought it up, so I'm just gonna say that the above statement shows how badly you & the missus need to get some counciling.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Lomman View Post
    As a separate issue, after 3 years and a few posts or so, I will be leaving as well. Keith, I understand your position but it doesn't match my circumstances. I have given my advice for free but I won't on principle pay to give my advice.
    Amen to that.

I've always felt about forums like this the same way I feel about potluck dinners: if you can, you should bring more than you eat. But if the food isn't free, it becomes a restaurant instead of a gathering of friends.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Lee, an interesting point but my budget will never be able to participate in a Pot-Luck dinner for over 1000 people which we average online here almost on a continuous basis.
    All total we have between 40 to 60 thousand unique visitors per day here, most are unregistered but they consume resources and now that they are blocking our banner advertisements they are a constant overhead without any financial support. Most registered Members get involved in discussions here which is a valuable asset but when the numbers go down like they have its difficult to attract and maintain advertisers that have offset our costs to operate.

Unregistered Visitors have always been the source of funds to pay for Members free access here because they made advertising work.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 05-06-2019 at 12:44 PM.

I guess there are some members who ONLY offer advice to others here on The Creek but never derive any benefit from advice given. In that case, such an individual(s) point is well taken. Why pay $6.00 to offer 2¢

Never imagined it could be so one sided.

Sam
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Last week I accepted a generous offer from Jeff Bartley to visit his shop, meet his family and have dinner with them.

I'm Canadian so in all probability I would have never met Jeff without Sawmill Creek.

The same for Rich Riddell, another wonderful person who I had a visit with.

As for all my other wonderful virtual American friends on this forum, your virtual friendship has also been priceless.

For me the cost of SMC for a year is a cup of coffee in a coffee shop once per year, something I consider a real bargain.

As a motorcyclist, membership in a club is in the $60 dollar range per year, another bargain.

I understand that some people are opposed to paying on principle, I simply don't understand that however.

Hope it all works well for SMC...........Rod.

Removed posts

Please keep this discussion friendly. There is no need for personal attacks.

Thank you
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

By the way, this thread reminded me I was past due for my annual subscription. Just took care of that now. Sorry for the delay Keith.

Keith, What's the best way to cover someone else's $6 fee when we donate? Should I select the $6 amount a 2nd time, but then list the other member's account name in PayPal?

Peter, Will you be sticking around if your fee was covered for the year?

How much value does information it have if there is no place to post it as in the CREEK GOES DRY? Somebody has to pay the bills. NOTHING IS FREE.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Loeblein View Post
    Peter, Will you be sticking around if your fee was covered for the year?
    Karl your offer is incredibly generous and much appreciated but no, I'll be moving on.