Thread: Can't see photos

Can't see photos

I'm logged in, but the forum says I don't have permissions to view photos in the various threads. I logged out and back in, but still can't see photos. Any suggestions?

Eric,

A quote from a recent announcement at the top of every forum:

Picture Viewing Privileges

On May 2nd we have removed Members privileges to view pictures. This is the final change to let everyone know that we will soon convert to a subscriber based system. Members can use the Donate button to update their accounts here and restore their ability to view pictures and access file attachments.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

That answers my problem.

I didn't even have access to view the FAQ on Photo Viewing

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Ryburn View Post
    I didn't even have access to view the FAQ on Photo Viewing
    If you can log on, select "Forums", select any forum under that list, look at the top of the list of threads under that forum, at the Announcement section the top most Announcement is the one notifying of the recent change. Any member can see it.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I am curious as to why this new change? I have been a member for some time and really did most of my viewing in the Neanderthal section although I did sway once in a while to see others projects. If I do contribute will the minimum $6 donation enable me to view pictures? This is not laid out in the donate section very well which I'm surprised about. If time was taken to update the software to disable users from viewing pictures I would assume that there was enough time to lay out in the description section what you needed to donate to view pictures. And I'm curious what this $ goes towards. Since I don't spend a lot of time in here I was just caught off guard by this change.

All of this has been covered in several threads recently along with all the complaints. Yes, if you are a contributor you will be able to see the pictures. It is just a subscription fee and pay it if you want or not.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Shea View Post
    I am curious as to why this new change? I have been a member for some time and really did most of my viewing in the Neanderthal section although I did sway once in a while to see others projects. If I do contribute will the minimum $6 donation enable me to view pictures? This is not laid out in the donate section very well which I'm surprised about. If time was taken to update the software to disable users from viewing pictures I would assume that there was enough time to lay out in the description section what you needed to donate to view pictures. And I'm curious what this $ goes towards. Since I don't spend a lot of time in here I was just caught off guard by this change.
    Yes $6.00 is the minimum for a year. You can donate more but it still gets you a year unless you make special arrangements with Keith. I'm not sure if multi year payments are possible. The $6.00 pays site operating and equipment costs. None of the moderators get any pay.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 05-11-2019 at 9:41 PM.

All of this has been covered in several threads recently along with all the complaints. Yes, if you are a contributor you will be able to see the pictures. It is just a subscription fee and pay it if you want or not.
    This is sort of my point. I spend very little time on here and certainly don't have time to read every post that comes up. This information should be posted in a sticky somewhere that is impossible for people to miss. At the very least the description under the donate section should absolutely list that $6 donation will enable you to view pictures.

I have no problem with the $6 donation and understand that operating costs are a real thing. I feel as though people that don't spend countless hours in this forum are all going to be caught off guard and have no idea what is going on. I will also say that search function should not be needed for such an important change, it should be clearly understood what is happening and what the user needs to do to. The sticky says you need to donate but how much? A one sentence description is not enough IMO.

Tony, things are in transition now to the subscription model and it's been on the table for some time now...many threads/discussions that it was coming and why. There are folks who salute it and folks who condemn it...no surprise there! The recent change to picture viewing thing (and it is posted in an announcement at the top of every forum area) really amounts to a "heads up" since a lot of folks don't actually look at announcements and sticky threads.

You've been a part of this community for a long time and I hope you'll become a contributor/subscriber.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Tony just so you know the 6 bucks gets you into everything the creek has to offer, Pictures, file sharing, lumber yard classified many things that just members never had before .
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    Tony just so you know the 6 bucks gets you into everything the creek has to offer, Pictures, file sharing, lumber yard classified many things that just members never had before .
    Thanks Bert! That's the best reply I've had. That's exactly what I was looking for although I could have worded my comments differently. That's the information that should be clear as day. And I do think the $6 is worth the content available here if nothing else to see everyone's work. My fear is that a lot the folks I used to look forward to seeing their work will no longer be here due to the change. Here's to hoping this doesn't scare everyone off.

tenor-1.jpgGlad I could help
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander