Thread: Juniper wood?

Juniper wood?

Does anyone know anything about the different varieties of juniper? I own a couple of French knives that have juniper(genevriere in French) scales and I’ve always been struck by their aromatic smell. It’s a quite strong smell that doesn’t dissipate with time and that smells almost exactly like black pepper. I’d like to purchase some of this wood, but it seems that what is available in the US is different than what is used on these knives. Or maybe it’s not... I just don’t know. Does anyone know which a variety of juniper smells like this and whether it’s available for purchase here in the US? I’ve seen some blanks listed on Cook’s Wood, but these just don’t look to be the same. I’d appreciate whatever info anyone has.

Thank you.

American Red Cedar is generally called Juniper.

Only guessing, but Cypress (also of the Juniper family) is a likely candidate for hard wearing, water resistant aromatic knife scales. My backyard table has a base made of Cypress, and it's indestructible - without any finish.

I’ve been doing further research after posting this, and I think I may have found it... “prickly juniper.” Specifically, juniperus oxycedrus. Apparently, it grows abundantly along the Mediterranean. Of course, I can’t be certain. But next step... where do I buy some?

Two kinds of Juniper trees grow in the northeastern states: common juniper, Juniperus communis and Eastern redcedar, Juniperus virginiana. Common juniper has short sharp needles, Eastern redcedar has similar sharp needles as a seedling, but then develops scale type leaves like arborvitae. It is also called aromatic cedar. If you found a wild tree in your area it would probably be one of these two.

Common juniper is also native to Europe and Asia, from England to Japan and from Alaska to Maine. It is the common juniper of France, and I think the likely wood for your knife. The wood is durable and a little harder and browner than redcedar. The tree does not get very big so it does not enter the regular lumber trade, but you could make scales from a rather small tree.

David, this sounds like a good excuse to get out of Brooklyn for a while, Alaska, Maine, Japan, France...