Thread: New to me Delta 768 10" bandsaw

New to me Delta 768 10" bandsaw

Pretty sure this is an early 40s bandsaw. I've just finished installing all new bearings, 8 total (includes 1/2hp motor) and it takes 74" blades. I was given some very sharp 1/4" blades that I would like to use, only problem is they are 72.5". As I don't use the tension spring other than a reference point, I use the flutter method. I should be able to tension the shorter blade and mark the tension gauge so I can go back to the same tension, right? Is there anything wrong with my logic or anything I am overlooking here? Randy

2. Contact Iturra Designs via email (there's no website) and ask for their bandsaw catalog. It's a wealth of knowledge about bandsaws in general and vast information about Delta bandsaws. Iturra sells many parts for old Deltas for restorations and he's very helpful.

Iturradesign@gmail.com
    "If only those heathen atheists hadn't taken God, Jesus, and the Bible out of schools, God and Jesus could have thrown a Bible at the shooter."

The tension gauge on that saw functions independently of blade length. If you can get the 72.5” blade on the saw it will work just fine. As a side note, unless the spring is shot the tension marks are plenty accurate and will likely match up with your results using the fluffer method.

4. You should be careful if that tension spring is the original. Are the blades you've been given new and unused? It's not fair to you or the saw if the blades aren't new. Spring for a new 1/4 flex back 6 tpi blade.

The flutter test is popular but subjective as is the deflection test. If you think about it, you'll understand why.

Proper tension is critical to success, but with your saw beware of using any blade over 3/8 inch until you can give the a complete examination to be sure the frame and tensioning screw have no issues.
    "If only those heathen atheists hadn't taken God, Jesus, and the Bible out of schools, God and Jesus could have thrown a Bible at the shooter."

That's a great little saw. The tension gauge should not be affected by the blade length. You'll have to check to see if the the shorter blades will fit on the saw without causing any problems, like the upper wheel rubbing on the wheel cover.

Chapel, I just sent an email to Iturra Designs as you recommended, thanks. Geoff, as far as I can see, only the tension adjustment is affected by the slightly shorter band. As long as its still floating using the spring, seems like all I need to do is my flutter test to get tension right and mark on tension body and ignore factory markings. And as long as it is not rubbing on anything, obviously. As lots have more experience with BS than I do, hence my posting, to see if I am missing something.... Randy