Thread: Hammer A3 or Minimax fs30

Hammer A3 or Minimax fs30

I am a hobby woodworker with a small shop and I plan to upgrade my Jet 6 inch joiner and Dewalt lunch box planer with a combination machine. I have had my heart set on the Hammer A3 with silent head but have run across a sale on the Minimax fs30 with their Xylent head from First Choice Industrial which makes it $500 cheaper than the A3. I have read lots of reviews to know they are both great machines and as a hobby woodworker both would be a great upgrade for me. In a few years I would like to upgrade to the Hammer K3 winner to replace my Delta Unisaw but Minimax has come in to play. My question is does the price difference make the Minimax a no brainer and has anyone seen the Hammer A3 go on sale which would make the price close to equal to the fs30 X? I am in no hurry and want to make the right choice. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Randy

I recently ordered a Hammer A3. The quote included a "Spring Promotion". Suggest contacting Felder to make sure you are comparing their lowest price.

Bob

Hi Randy. I do not own a jointer /planer. However I do have a couple Felder machines and a Minimax shaper and have owned another Minimax machine in the past. My perspective is they are both great machines either one will be a huge upgrade for you. It is a six of one half dozen of the other prospect. Which ever one you buy I am sure you will be very happy. If both machines have the features that you want ,go with price. Good luck,Mike.

When you're comparing prices, check that you're including freight and delivery charges.

I can't believe that I am suggesting that trying to save a few dollars is not as important (in this type of case) as selecting the machine that you feel will best serve your needs and/or be the better of the two machines under consideration. At the overall cost of the units, plus perhaps the expected term-of-service for your use, maybe a few dollars is less important than getting the one that sings loudest to you. From all accounts, either should be a winner.
    David

At the risk of starting a Ford/Chevy war, I compared the Felders, the Hammers, and the SCM Minmax's a couple of years ago, and IMO the Felders and Minimaxs are in the same league, but the Hammer is somewhat of an economy Felder (yeah, its still a hell of a lot of money). I decided to go with the Minimax with the Xylent cutter head and have been impressed with the cut quality and the overall build quality of the Minimax. Given that you can buy it for less than the Hammer, I'd strongly consider the Minimax.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Eaton View Post
    I am a hobby woodworker with a small shop and I plan to upgrade my Jet 6 inch joiner and Dewalt lunch box planer with a combination machine. I have had my heart set on the Hammer A3 with silent head but have run across a sale on the Minimax fs30 with their Xylent head from First Choice Industrial which makes it $500 cheaper than the A3. I have read lots of reviews to know they are both great machines and as a hobby woodworker both would be a great upgrade for me. In a few years I would like to upgrade to the Hammer K3 winner to replace my Delta Unisaw but Minimax has come in to play. My question is does the price difference make the Minimax a no brainer and has anyone seen the Hammer A3 go on sale which would make the price close to equal to the fs30 X? I am in no hurry and want to make the right choice. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Randy

My opinion is the same as Phil's, Minimax is a stouter machine than Hammer, but either will last a hobbiest a lifetime and beyond. I would buy from whichever company you feel most comfortable with, not just as relates to the machine, but also delivery, how they handle problems, and future service.

John

I have fs30 and it has been nothing but a headache. I would never get it again. Minimax customer service is very poor. I wouldn't recommend.

My MiniMax machines have been outstanding and the support I've received has been very good, both from corporate as well as from Sam and some others. Felder/Hammer is also a quality company that provides good machinery. I also share the opinion that either the Hammer or the SCM/Minimax will do very well. I've certainly enjoyed my MM J/P for a long time now with the Tersa head. I'm not familiar with the Xylent setup, however.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

At some point one must ask when a tool is "good enough". It is so easy to obsess about what might be "better", and either delay/procrastinate endlessly, or just never feel satisfied with a purchase. The grass always appears greener on the other side of the fence.

Hammer or Minimax? I would choose the one which offers the best after sales support. The machines are both good enough to do all you want to do. Whether one has a slighter thicker steel than the other may be meaningless if the "thinner" version is still more than thick enough. At some point one needs to recognise that a good craftsman does not blame their tools. Are they good enough?

I have three Hammer machines, partly because Felder are local. Minimax are not. My local Felder agents have been superb with backup, and fortunately this has involved the most minimal of tuning. The A3-31 (with silent head) has been running for 5 years now and problem free (as have the K3 and N4400). I am very happy with my choices because they do what I expected them to do. Could the Minimax be better? Possibly - mere curiosity - I have no desire to dwell on this.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    My MiniMax machines have been outstanding and the support I've received has been very good, both from corporate as well as from Sam and some others. Felder/Hammer is also a quality company that provides good machinery. I also share the opinion that either the Hammer or the SCM/Minimax will do very well. I've certainly enjoyed my MM J/P for a long time now with the Tersa head. I'm not familiar with the Xylent setup, however.
    Jim I have the silent cutter head... not Xylent. I am not sure it is just as great as Tersa head...but it cuts wood nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Mattingley View Post
    Jim I have the silent cutter head... not Xylent. I am not sure it is just as great as Tersa head...but it cuts wood nicely.
    Yes, the various insert and helical setups do provide a very nice finish. I was only saying I wasn't familiar with the "Xylent" setup specifically as it wasn't an option when I bought my J/P many years ago. I'm going to have to do a little online reading.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...