Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Deciding whether to restore my old unisaw

My thought has always been that older motors have a bigger stator. More mass equals more momentum which takes more to slow down.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    My thought has always been that older motors have a bigger stator. More mass equals more momentum which takes more to slow down.
    I think you mean a bigger rotor, not a stator (the stator is not moving). If a motor had a heavier rotor it would store more rotational energy and could provide that energy during an impulse event, such as hitting a knot. But it would not be much and it would be used up quickly. The energy would not be all of the energy stored in the rotor, but just the energy between the two RPMs (the RPM before you hit something and the RPM after you hit something).

I just don't think that would provide much additional power to the saw in use.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I bought an old Uni-saw years ago for $225 and thought I'd clean it up and sell it. After researching the S/N, I discovered it was made the same year and month I was born (7-50). I kept it, restored it and could not be happier with it. The old stuff has seasoned castings which do not move and was made to last in an industrial environment. To get a new saw of the same quality today I would have to spend AT LEAST double what I have in the saw including bearings, belts, paint, an upgraded fence, Incra miter gage, Merlin splitter and having the top reground. RESTORE IT!!!

Enjoy!

Tim

Blog Entries
    Mike, that's pretty clever. Maybe the safety tech just drops the upper wheel taking the inertia out of it. Then a little clamp could stop the blade.