Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DC turns on after power outage

DC turns on after power outage

I came home the other day and as I'm pullling up to my mail box I hear a loud blowing sound. after a few seconds I realized my DC was on. I ran in and turned it off. and when I walked in I realize the power had gone off and it had been running for 5 hours. So I guess I made it through the break in period. From now on I guess I have to leave the breaker off if i'm not in the garage.

Blog Entries
    Your DC doesn't have a contactor?

That's what a mag starter is for.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    Your DC doesn't have a contactor?
    If I am reading his post right, it was off and turned on after a power outage.
    A simple switch couldn't do that; it would have to be a miswired starter.

But maybe I am not reading his post right.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    If I am reading his post right, it was off and turned on after a power outage.
    A simple switch couldn't do that; it would have to be a miswired starter.

But maybe I am not reading his post right.
    That's what I'm wondering.

The idea with a mag switch is that if the power goes out WHILE THE TOOL IS RUNNING, then the tool doesn't start again when the power comes on, possibly injuring someone. - But the tool (in this case the DC) would have to be running first.

The DC, Clearview with their remote starter, was off and I was at work. When I pulled up the driveway it was on. My thought that there may have been some surge when power came back. This shouldn't have happened. The only other possibility is some random signal turned it on. As far as miswiring it, it only has 2 hots and ground, unless there is some internal wiring issues.

Blog Entries
    Electronic devices can do funny things when the power comes back on. Resumption of power is frequently accompanied by over voltages, under voltages & line noise with can contribute to erratic behavior. I mean in the DC controller, not you

I have a subpanel so i will just keep the breaker off when not there. I was just wondering if anyone had this happen to them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    I have a subpanel so i will just keep the breaker off when not there. I was just wondering if anyone had this happen to them.
    No me, but I did read a post once from a guy who had the power go out while he was working in the shop. He left & came back a few hours later & the power had come on at some point. The Festool sander he had been using came to life & sanded almost through his MFT top. He hadn't turned it off when the power went out.

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    The DC, Clearview with their remote starter, was off and I was at work. When I pulled up the driveway it was on. My thought that there may have been some surge when power came back. This shouldn't have happened. The only other possibility is some random signal turned it on. As far as miswiring it, it only has 2 hots and ground, unless there is some internal wiring issues.

I doubt a power surge could turn your machine on if the switch is wired properly. (without spending much time on it, I don't see how miswiring could do it either) More likely it was another signal. My Jet air filter and my Grizzly cyclone have the same remote; perhaps something in your house has the same remote.

But of course almost anything is possible. Last month I came back from vacation to find my fridge dead and warm. The next day it came on for a few seconds every now and then. Over the next day the on periods got longer and longer, until it stayed on. I am reasonably sure that is impossible, but it happened. (It stayed on for a week, but then started flickering off for brief periods. Decided it was time to replace it.)

Most breakers aren't designed to be used as switches. Make sure yours are before using them as switches very often.
    Last edited by Wade Lippman; 05-07-2019 at 4:24 PM.

No me, but I did read a post once from a guy who had the power go out while he was working in the shop. He left & came back a few hours later & the power had come on at some point. The Festool sander he had been using came to life & sanded almost through his MFT top. He hadn't turned it off when the power went out.
    He didn't turn the switch off. That is why they make magnetic starters. Shouldn't happen with those.

Seems like a call to Oneida is in line.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    He didn't turn the switch off. That is why they make magnetic starters. Shouldn't happen with those.
    That's right, but this was a ROS.

That's right, but this was a ROS.
    I got that. He didn't turn the switch off. That's why they make magnetic starters for stationary machines.

My aunt and uncle had a "modern" house in Pasadena built around 1955. It had low voltage switches with a relay box in the attic. German made unit I believe. It is ironic since he worked for Lockheed, but many times when a plane flew over the lights and what not would turn on and off from stray radar and radio signals from the planes.
    Bil lD.