Thread: Pick up steps

Pick up steps

I have recently purchased a 2011 GMC 1500 extended cab pick up. It came with no step/running boards.
    It is a little high for my older dog to get in. So I have decided to get some side steps. My question is has anyone installed them themself. I can get them installed for $80. Is it an easy job or should I just let someone that does it on a regular basis do it.
    Thanks in advance, Kevin

Blog Entries
    Are the steps big enough for the dog to get his back legs up after the front legs?

$80 seems reasonable if the installer is competent.

If the vehicle is made to accept aftermarket steps then it might be an easy job to do oneself.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I would definitely check to see if they are dog friendly steps. my 1500 came with boards but I can only get my toes on them and my feet dont fit between them and the truck. I really dislike mine they make me do an awkward half step

My kids use a folding plastic stool to get up to the sink and such. Wonder if getting something similar to keep in the truck would be better and more economical.

Update, I purchased OEM steps online for $249 and installed them myself in about 1 hour and 15 minutes. The frame had plugs covering factory holes for steps. I could do another one in about 45 minutes without directions. Everything worked out well.

You....(GASP!)....read the DIRECTIONS??? Your man card is permanently revoked.

Years ago, I installed a set of Smittybuilt side steps on the 2000 Toyota Tundra I owned at the time. The install was relatively easy outside of being a balancing act to do alone. And yea..."Read the Fabulous Manual" is a good practice.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...