Thread: Redwood mystery

Redwood mystery

Last summer I built a big patio table. Over the past year, it has changed in a way which surprises me, and which I can't explain.

The table is made from recycled old-growth redwood. It is 12 feet long. The top is 2 1/2" thick. It is supported by two trestles which are about twenty inches from the ends. That is, the main unsupported span is about eight feet. Despite that length, the table is rock solid. I can jump on it, and there's no flex. I "finished" the table with several coats of deck oil.

patiotablepicsmall.jpg

When the table went into service last summer, the top was flat. It stood on the patio out in the weather over the winter. ("Winter", here, means about 15 inches of rain spread over four months, and a few days with morning frost.) Today, the table top is not flat. It sags about an inch in the middle. It is still rock solid.

I'm surprised at the sag. I don't have a lot of experience building outside furniture, but I've seen wood tables at park campsites that are fairly flat despite decades of exposure to the weather. So what has happened to my table? And how do I fix it?
    Last edited by Jamie Buxton; 05-03-2019 at 12:41 AM.

Hard to say for sure, but it's probably not sagged from structural weight, but more likely it's warped from differential drying. It wets and dries from the sun more on top and the fibers tend to curl up. It might semi self correct if you flip it upside down on some horses to let nature "have at" the bottom side. Wide flatsawn boards tend to cup and bow more noticeably. Set a board on your driveway and often you'll see it take a banana shape. Oil does a very poor job at sealing the surface to control the moisture gradient. Park tables generally aren't 12' so the bowing isn't as noticeable, and often use pressure treated wood which is usually soaking wet to start with. I have seen plenty of park tables with the same bow. That's my random guess from 3000 miles away.

Very nice looking table BTW! I like the "beefiness"!

I agree with Jason. Flip it over and hose the bottom every day for a few and see if it fixes itself.

Gravity. A powerful thing that works 24/7, never stops and always wins. That, and what Mr. Mikits said.

Here is one for you: A garden arbor. The span is 18 feet. The person who built it used 2X12 SYP on edge. Yes, it has a sag in the middle, he thought that a 2X12 would not eventually sag. Gravity wins every single time.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    I "finished" the table with several coats of deck oil.

patiotablepicsmall.jpg

So what has happened to my table? And how do I fix it?
    Did you apply the finish to the underside of the table? If not, then the underside absorbed more moisture than the top side did and it expanded. The cure would be to put the table in the sun for a day or two with the bottom side exposed to the sun. Once the table flattens, apply the same amount of finish to the under side. When you turn it upside down be sure to allow air to get under it.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

If the other solutions mentioned don't work, you could use corbel-style bracing similar to that shown in this random web pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

I agree that it is probably caused by unequal moisture in the wood.

I really replied to say that I love the table. It has been on my list for a while but always slips down with more urgent projects.

Jamie, what about doing a center cleat (with only 2 elongated holes) with a single leg; essentially a T formation. Nice table, sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Did you apply the finish to the underside of the table? If not, then the underside absorbed more moisture than the top side did and it expanded. The cure would be to put the table in the sun for a day or two with the bottom side exposed to the sun. Once the table flattens, apply the same amount of finish to the under side. When you turn it upside down be sure to allow air to get under it.
    That would be my first guess, too...

We used to have a big pile of redwood, had to be 3" thick, beautiful stuff, I think it was from a water tower torn down in Camden, NJ -- we never used it for anything, though.
    Last edited by Jacob Reverb; 05-03-2019 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick McCarthy View Post
    Jamie, what about doing a center cleat (with only 2 elongated holes) with a single leg; essentially a T formation. Nice table, sir.
    Right now, I’ve added a construction-lumber middle trestle. It has leveling feet so I can jack up the middle of the table. When I jack it up to the point that the real trestles just barely touch the ground, I’ve taken maybe 3/16” out of the 1” sag.