Thread: Mineral Spirits slick spot

Mineral Spirits slick spot

I was caulking some baseboard cracks and used mineral spirits to clean up.

Some of the mineral spirits got on my hardwood floor. I immediately wiped it up but it has left a residual slick spot.

Its been months and despite routine mopping with vinegar and water its still there — nothing visible but man that place is slick. I have young children and older parents and they have all slipped there.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks

Mineral spirits can leave an oily residue. Try VM&P naphtha. It doesn't leave a residue and won't affect most finishes. Check first in an inconspicuous spot. And use ventilation as needed. Or you could try DNA.
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

I am surprised mineral spirits did that. I suspect it had some mineral OIL in it, which won't evaporate; but MS should evaporate completely.

First try soap and water or even Windex. These will dissolve the oil.

Alcohol is not a good solvent for oil-based products.

Naphtha is very good. It will dissolve the oil well, and evaporates better than mineral spirits.

However, soap and water is the first thing I'd try.

If you were using MS to clean up you likely were using a silicone caulk, correct? If so, I think some of that is what's on the floor now. That would explain the slick spot. Getting it off is going to be a challenge without damaging the floor finish. You could try a commercial remover, or just a rag soaked in MS, and wipe, wipe, wipe, and wipe some more, changing cloths often. Good luck.

John

The mineral spirits now sold in California is weird stuff. About half of what's in the can is an oily clear liquid which never evaporates. I've left a saucer full of it for a month, and that oily stuff is still there. I don't know what would clean it up. I'd start with simple soap and water, and escalate to stronger solvents if required.

If soap and water doesn't work, how about a relatively safe degreaser like Simple Green?

You could try using a fine scotch brite with whatever cleaner you use. If it’s a durable floor finish it should withstand a little scrubbing and might help to cut whatever’s causing the slickness.