Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The proper way to break in a new vehicle...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The proper way to break in a new vehicle...

The proper way to break in a new vehicle...

IMG_4265.jpg IMG_4262.jpg IMG_4266.jpg

...included a drive to the Festool Road Show and a stop at Hearne Hardwoods. It had 6 miles on it when I picked it up last evening. It has 175 on it now. And I now have a desire to buy the 8mm Connectors setup and ownership of a very nice hunk of English Brown Oak, a stick of birdseye maple and a very nice stick of tiger maple. I just have to decide what to make with them.

The Festool trainer named Allan was awesome...and let the system speak for itself in his capable hands.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Glad to see you were able to get your new ride sooner than later, Jim. Your first day with it earns admirable mention, too. I drove my last new one 300 miles on it's first day, then rented a trailer and picked up my 750 lb MM J/P the next day and drove back home.

Look forward to seeing what you turn those pieces of wood into, and how you like the new vehicle, too.

John

Nicely done Jim, good way to break in the new ride. where was Festool that I missed them?

Never mind.
    Last edited by Kim Gibbens; 05-02-2019 at 10:19 PM.

Now I see why Festool has to jack up their prices so much, they have that giant semi with custom trailer to pay for.

Which car is yours Jim? I see a Lexus, Ford, and Subaru, my personal fave being the Subbie.

I'm thinking he got the Subaru, based on the floor liner in the third pic.

Blog Entries
    Enjoy the new vehicle, Jim! Great way to break it in.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Good call Richard. I should noticed that, since I have an Ascent too!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Cherry View Post
    Nicely done Jim, good way to break in the new ride. where was Festool that I missed them?
    The Road Show was in Media at Williamson College of the Trades. I was only there for about an hour because there's only so much you can see and I'm pretty familiar with most stuff. But I spent most of my time with Allen getting to know the 8mm connector system. I used the 14mm version for my recent bunkbed commission and really liked it and can see the smaller 8mm setup coming my way, too. Really well thought out and so easy to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Now I see why Festool has to jack up their prices so much, they have that giant semi with custom trailer to pay for.

Which car is yours Jim? I see a Lexus, Ford, and Subaru, my personal fave being the Subbie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Young View Post
    I'm thinking he got the Subaru, based on the floor liner in the third pic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day
    Good call Richard. I should noticed that, since I have an Ascent too!
    Yup. Subaru. Ascent Touring. I lub it already. It replaces the MY12 Grand Cherokee Overland Summit I drove for 7 years and 108K miles (largely highway for business prior to retiring). It's similar size...bigger inside, actually...but easier for Professor Dr. SWMBO to get in an out of and more economical to drive. We're a three Subaru in the driveway family now! The tie-in to woodworking is that I actually use my vehicle to pick up material, either in the cabin when it will fit or with my utility trailer. The extra cargo capacity that this three-row brings (the third row will likely never see the light of day) is going to be very helpful to me. So this is a tool purchase, right? And when we do travel, the captain's chairs in the second row will be a lot more comfortable for our older daughter who necessarily would accompany us because she can't live independently. It wouldn't be fair to our younger daughter to have to deal with it. Since the older is a "woman of size", the captain's chairs are a much better fit, literally.

IMG_4270.jpg IMG_E4259.jpg IMG_E4257.jpg

As to the lumber, the birdseye will likely be used for some CNC produced boxes. The tiger maple might get used for a guitar top if I talk myself into starting to make them. The 8/4 hunk of English Brown Oak...not sure yet. It's 36" long and could end up being used for a wide variety of things...I just love that species and the piece was calling my name when I walked by it at Hearne. While my wallet was screaming..."noooooooooo!!!!!"...clearly I don't hear very well. Just ask Professor Dr. SWMBO...
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 05-03-2019 at 9:10 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Very cool Jim. I love mine too. My 3rd row sees the light of day a lot. It’s been great when we have family visiting to get everyone in one car. I opted for the bench seats for that reason, so I can cram 8 in it, which will I’m sure happen with kids in the car.
    And my hitch stays on all the time to hook up to my little utility trailer. I use that trailer a lot rather instead of trying to fit it inside the car. Too nice of an interior to scratch it all up!
    I’ve got 7500 on mine so far. Big step up from my old ‘04 Forester XT. I miss the stick shift at times though.

Awesome, Jim!

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Blog Entries
    Remember when a Subarus were always weird looking? That's a very nice looking vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    Remember when a Subarus were always weird looking?
    The worst IMO was a tie between the Baja and the Tribeca. I guess at least the Tribeca was functional.

Congrats on the acquisitions, Jim. We just bought the Outback. Our local dealer, who advertises during Cubs' games, always touts the Ascent's 19 cup holders. You should be well hydrated on your trips!

Jim, nice looking vehicle! May it serve you well!

When I bought my new Pilot, I did something similar. I picked it up on a Wednesday and drove it home. After reading the owners manual, I called the dealership and they recommended 500 miles on it before towing a trailer. So, we had family with youngsters coming in a week and my wife wanted my severely degraded stash of maple burl out of the yard. She and I had a minor disagreement over it so I filled two thermos with coffee, gassed up and drove from Lewiston, ID to Missoula, MT, to Coeur da'Lene, ID and back to Lewiston. The next morning I rented a low sided trailer and made two trips to the dump with rotted and cracked maple.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....