Thread: I just took a robo call from...myself

I just took a robo call from...myself

This is getting ridiculous. Not only are telemarketers using phone numbers that sound nearby, I just got a call from ME, by name. I jumped to answer, because I am sure I would agree with me. Fortunately, it was only a call telling me my Microsoft license was going to be revoked. I punched the appropriate number to let them continue their pitch, and then they cut me off.

Question: If they are smart enough to dump me in mid-pitch, why aren't they smart enough to not bother calling me in the first place?
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Same thing happened to a co-worker the other day. He was fairly certain he had not called himself, so he didn't answer. He said he has never needed a phone to talk to himself and had no intention of starting now.

Blog Entries
    That's just hilarious. These folks certainly aren't in this line of work because they're smart. I've had lots of calls from numbers with the same 3 digits at me, but never from myself.

Somewhat along the same lines - I frequently get a notification on Linked In that I want to connect with myself... I'm sure that could have a lot of connotations..
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Blog Entries
    I called myself several times a couple of weeks ago. I didn't bother to answer as I can talk to myself any time I want to without a telephone.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post

Question: If they are smart enough to dump me in mid-pitch, why aren't they smart enough to not bother calling me in the first place?
    Darned good question... Most of the robocalls I get hang up immediately when I answer. Why do they call?

My wife has been getting emails from herself. She knows not to open them.

Robo calls will cease only when a Federal DA goes after your service provider under the RICO Act. Under the RICO act, if you profit from a crime, then you are also guilty of the crime. For people like me who buy only so many minutes per months, each call costs me, which means my service provider (Verizon) is making money from illegal activities

Recently set my "do not disturb" hours to 6am till 5:59am unless you are on my contacts list. Sends them all straight to voicemail. Not my preferred destination but an improvement. They can still leave a message.