Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using Your Laser to Help in the Covid-19 Fight

Using Your Laser to Help in the Covid-19 Fight

The New York Times posted this video, https://www.nytimes.com/video/us/100...us-news-update , on their home page today about people who are using lasers, 3D printers and waterjets to help solve the supply problem regarding PPE (personal protection equipment) for healthcare workers.

I received an email back from one of the GA Tech professors in the video. He said that if we really want to help we should submit our information at the link at the bottom of this page: https://pwp.gatech.edu/rapid-response/face-shields/ . They will use the information to coordinate resources.

FYI, the form isn’t very well structured. Just start filling out the information and it will begin to make sense. Skip all the stuff about hospitals and click the arrow in the lower right corner of each page to move forward. For the capability question, I noted my laser wattage, laser tube type (CO2 versus RF) and bed size just so they have a decent idea about my capabilities.

You can download and see the files at that link. Also, watch the short video. I think they have further refined the design since making that video. Note how they cut the replaceable clear face shield material on the Trotec using a roll of PETG. In his email today, the professor mentioned they are really looking for waterjet cutters for the frame. Since they specified polycarbonate, I can understand why. That isn’t the easiest to cut with a laser.

Please pass along this link to other laser owners you know. Get them to fill out the form IF IF IF you think they are the type of person to really follow through and be dedicated to helping.
    Last edited by Doug Fisher; 03-25-2020 at 11:22 AM.
    700mm x 500mm Ke Hui KH-7050 Laser
    80W EFR F2
    S&A CW5000 chiller
    Chuck style of rotary attachment

Here is a simple coronavirus-related product design that seems useful in a conceptual sense.

https://twitter.com/AMAP_Sunderland/...69322418819078
    Last edited by Doug Fisher; 03-25-2020 at 3:01 PM.
    80W EFR F2
    S&A CW5000 chiller

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Fisher View Post
    The New York Times posted this video, https://www.nytimes.com/video/us/100...us-news-update , ... I noted my laser wattage, laser tube type (CO2 versus RF) and bed size... .
    Just want to point out that RF/Radio Frequency controlled air-cooled metal or ceramic engraving lasers, and DC/Direct Current water cooled glass engraving lasers, are both C02 lasers. Not sure I got the terminology right but the main distinction between them is the RF and CD type/designations...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Not sure what filling out that survey did ,
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    Not sure what filling out that survey did ,

So in my state they are not accepting home made fabric masks. They will be releasing more information. I'm not sure about plastic ones. I have already test 3d printed, and of course have the laser to cut the clear part of the face shields. I got the 3d models, and laser parts from 3dprinted youtube videos. And just waiting to see how I can help.
    Redsail x700, 50watt & Shenhui 350, 50 watt

I'm not sure anything would be accepted if it was not created in a controlled sterile environment. I wouldn't consider any of our laser machines fit that description.
    -
    David Takes
    Expressions Engraved
    St. Joseph, MO

Quote Originally Posted by David Takes View Post
    I'm not sure anything would be accepted if it was not created in a controlled sterile environment. I wouldn't consider any of our laser machines fit that description.
    Plastic is easy to clean and is reusable

Production environment doesn't matter as long as they can autoclave it. All of the Joann Fabric stores are providing materials to make masks and the recipients are doing just that, autoclaving them to ensure sterility.

Quote Originally Posted by David Takes View Post

Blog Entries
    Sterility isn't the issue. It is that NO fabric that these masks are made from will prevent the virus from penetrating. Less than a micron is diameter. And even an APPROVED N95 mask stops only 95% of .7 micron materials from passing through.
    I've ranted on several sites that these are great ideas, but in practice give ALL false sense of security. Even adding a rated material inside the mask (which some hospitals are trying to do) is only a stopgap. I've seen on 3D printed advertised that uses a 1 inch square of material as filter. You Ain't going to breath through a filtered 1 inch square. You WILL pull around the face to mask perimeter, or through the gaps in the 3d print.

Do what you want.... There is a reason these things are tested and approved.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

While homemade masks won't help medical people much with preventng sucking IN a virus, they'll sure as hell stop a lot of the outgoing spittle and spray from those who are or may be contagious. While a cloth mask won't keep the virus from getting out, if it DOES get out it won't be airborne, going 70 mph towards someone else...

How many people do you suppose are infected, and/or contagious and don't know it? The public at large would be MUCH safer if everyone wore homemade masks while shopping, which most of us are still doing...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Well I'd love to help but need a lot more info on how to do it.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I signed up at that link and heard from them the next day. Obtaining material is the real bottleneck now. They were able to get one 600' roll to me of really nice quality PETG to cut for face shields but they have not been able to get additional material to me since then. Things should really ramp up about Tuesday when some cutting/stamping dies are finished. They also should have molds for the frames finished soon that will allow frame production to increase exponentially.
    80W EFR F2
    S&A CW5000 chiller

This is my contribution: www.thingiverse.com/thing:4245317

My mother is sewing up hundreds of masks, the first batch being sent to a NY hospital. They wear the DIY masks over the N95s. They are allowed one N95 to use per day. I can't comment on how well these DIY masks work, but I do know that the health care workers are eager to receive them.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

Here is a link to laser cut face shields

https://www.cdamlab.com/faceshield.html

I just cut 100 s hooks for masks that have the around the ear elastic and offered to cut more if needed.