Thread: Kanefusa Blades

Kanefusa Blades

I remember about a year ago some guys on here were singing high praises for Kanefusa blades. I took notes and kept them for a later day. I was particularly interested in the Hi-Max which supposedly worked really well as a “combo” blade for sliders. I guess I waited too long to order a few of those. Just got off the phone with Dan at Quinn’s Sharpening Srvc and he checked with Kanefusa. Apparently Kanefusa doesn’t stock that blade and to order now runs almost 4 months and a min order of 5 blades😩

Stock is an issue. When I ordered the blades from Quinn, I had mine, and Joe Calhoon’s, and maybe another colleagues on the order. I know we needed to have the 5 minimum, but I think we mixed and matched- not 5 of one kind. I think we got 8 or 9 blades all in.
    There was a wait, but it was not 4 months either.
    I will say, the Hi-Max blade cuts incredibly smooth, but it has disappointed- after only 4 very light face sharpenings, the overall kerf has reduced enough to allow binding on the riving knife.
    Talked to Joe at Quinns, and he looked up my sharpening history, and confirms no side grinding happened.
    I still use it, but I have to remove the riving knife- not keen on that.
    Once you use the riving knife you get used to it doing the job it was designed for, and then having to refocus on the back of blade/stock issues, well.....

I bought 3 more of the Hi Max last year. It was 3 or 4 months, I don’t remember. I had forgotten about them and they just showed up one day. I’m just on the first sharpening and OK. I like these for the work in solid wood we do, both rip and crosscut on the slider.

Peter can you get a thinner riving knife?

If anyone puts together a order let me know. I have a 1.25” arbor so chances are if all the same blade have to be ordered it would not work.

I have been planning on spending on a few special blades for the new saw.

Depending on price I may be able to convince the boss to buy a blade or two also?

I called Quinn several months ago inquiring about the Kanefusa blades, and they were kinda "MEH sure we can get you one, but why?". They sent me a 14" Freud industrial hi-ATB, and said to try it and let them know what I thought. (how nice of them!) It's been a great blade for plywood & solid wood on my T-75, and I am going to order another one soon. I'd be open to participating in a Kanefusa group buy if it could be coordinated. I can't imagine it being much better than the Freud, but I'm always game for something new. I'd likely drive down & pick mine up.

They gave me a quote for two different Freud industrial blades as well.
    Would you say your blade cuts well both as a crosscut and rip blade? How many teeth does your blade have?
    Thanks

14" x 108 tooth. I mostly use it for plywood, but it does as good as any combination blade can be expected to do. As with any blade, keeping it clean is imperative. It's the best blade I have ever used, so I cant really compare it to more expensive blades. I've heard diamonds are "better".

I like the Hi-Max for solid wood because that is 95 percent of what we cut. It’s not bad on plywood but I have better blades for that. What I like is that it cuts easy and clean in solid both with the grain and across and pretty quiet. I tried it in the newly acquired T17 and was surprised at how loud it was in that saw. I’m thinking because there is no overhead guard.