Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wood for house numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    That sounds about as bulletproof as you can get. I'm curious though, how did you go about cutting the granite pieces into numbers?
    He said solid surface, which is generally a mineral filled acrylic resin. Most people think of Corian® when solid surface is mentioned. It is easily cut with carbide tooling.

2. Quote Originally Posted by William Hodge View Post
    In my town, we didn't have house numbers until a few years ago. After a house fire with fatalities, the fire department asked people to put up green and white reflective house numbers, that they sold at cost. It helps first responders from outside of Town that don't know everyone.
    Where we lived before we moved here those were required. They actually fined you if you didn't comply. Some folks still had decorative wood numbers too.

I think if I were doing wood/pvc numbers choice of material might depend on the size of the numbers. If they were real big where checking/splitting would be much less of an issue, I might use cypress or cedar. Nice clear cypress is available here so that is what I'd use for big fat numbers. I guess the size would depend on how far away they were expected to be seen and read from. Cypress holds up to the weather really well as does cedar.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    That sounds about as bulletproof as you can get. I'm curious though, how did you go about cutting the granite pieces into numbers?
    Solid Surface material is "plastic"...think Corian for a brand name. It cuts and works beautifully with woodworking tools.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Staehling View Post
    They actually fined you if you didn't comply.
    I wish they did that with businesses.