Thread: Bunch of new guy questions - and a hearty thanks to all prior contributors!

Bunch of new guy questions - and a hearty thanks to all prior contributors!

Hey all!

First: Thank you to all the contributors on the forum! Honestly. I only just joined, but I have been seeking, and finding advice and help in the forum for a month or so. And a little before when I was doing my research on what to get.

Second: I just bought (a month ago) a Tykma Qube 20w fiber laser and thus far, I am thrilled with it and the support they have offered when I have needed it. I also have a Boss 60 watt CO2 laser, but that's a different topic. The Tykma uses EZCad.

I DO have a couple questions that I can't quite figure out and I am not sure if I don't know how to search for the answer or, it's just lack of experience. So.. thanks in advance!

Question the first:

If I want to use the laser like a hole saw and bore a hole.. It appears that if I draw a circle, say 1mm, and I use the laser at default settings and I start cutting the circle, I can cut for a VERY long time and there is seemingly no progress. HOWEVER - if I fill in the circle so it ablates all the material INSIDE the hole, it will bore the hole super rapidly. I tried this on aluminum, using the first example, I saw effectively no progress. When using fill to shoot the inside of the circle in 25 passes (or so) i have a 1/10th" deep hole (or whatever the depth is). Point is, it makes excellent progress.

Sssoooo... if i have a sheet and I want to cut a part out... what the heck should I do? In this case I don't want to destroy the inside part, I want it to fall out of the sheet.

Question the second:
    Is there a fill function in EZcad for images created outside EZcad? I know I can use it for text and for objects created with Ezcad.. but I am with basically everyone else in the understanding that EZcad is pretty horrid. for example: I have a premade graphic (vector) and I want to add fill to an area such that it burns inside an area. Real example: I have a graphic made in Illustrator (not by me). It's a vector. There is the words "otter river" and then a graphic of an otter. The otter is shaded and burns properly, but the text is displayed as outlines, and burns as such. However in the preview on AI, the text if filled. Is there a function to allow me to fill in text? Or also the double outline that encircles the whole picture? (please ignore that it's only 2/3 the whole image..)

Question the third and final, for now:

I have a rotary. And I am getting the hang of it. If I have to insert breaks WITHIN the image, is there any better or worse way to break the image? I have noticed in a couple practices that sometimes the rejoin of the image on the surface can be pretty poor. Or is this a situation where the breaks are likely to rejoin poorly so I had better "learn where to break the image and you'll get better at it" situation.

Thanks a ton!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images