Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: A new set of chisels from Stan

Blog Entries
    Pete, I’ve used Ura-Dashi on everything from 1/4” chisels to 70mm plane blades (I don’t own anything wider). I’ve tapped out about 45 blades and maintain them routinely.

Jim, certainly not everything need be plainly simple to the unindoctrinated, but that is why forums and classes exist. Surely you did not pick up a guitar and start playing, you needed to learn a thing or two first.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Pete, I’ve used Ura-Dashi on everything from 1/4” chisels to 70mm plane blades (I don’t own anything wider). I’ve tapped out about 45 blades and maintain them routinely.

Jim, certainly not everything need be plainly simple to the unindoctrinated, but that is why forums and classes exist. Surely you did not pick up a guitar and start playing, you needed to learn a thing or two first.
    Yes and with simple terminology, there is the internet.

When you answered my question re the hollow with Ura-Dashi, I looked it up and was instantly reminded of a thread from perhaps a year ago where you covered that process including pictures.

Blog Entries
    Surely you did not pick up a guitar and start playing, you needed to learn a thing or two first.
    Funny you should mention that. My years of guitar playing were a lot of fun even with my never learning to read music.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

4. Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    [snip]

Stan need not take any grief for what he has been doing, he does this for no other reason that to put buyers in touch with blacksmiths. He's recouping his costs in doing so and helping to preserve an art form. An Art forms which needs patrons to keep it going. Some smiths who are really exceptional tend to be really lousy at selling themselves.
    It is worth mention that Stan has never made his living selling tools. He is a major executive in a very major international construction company and supports Japanese blacksmiths and their wares out of respect and regard for their worth. I don't know if he marks up prices more than his expenses or not, and I don't care; as most of his "customers" have attested, his prices have been very fair and favorable compared to other sources of Japanese tools. And as most of his "customers" have attested, the quality of the tools he seeks out and furnishes are outstanding, at least as good as those available from other sources of Japanese tools.

His contributions to a wide variety of threads on SMC also demonstrate a useful and valuable contribution to the content on the site.

If Stewie has some information to impart about Stan, I wish he would present it less opaquely. I find castigation by innuendo rather distasteful. [I must admit, however, that my view of Stewie's post as edited may be more a comment for the unhappy decision of management to leave behind a highly ambiguous post devoid of substance.]
    Last edited by James Waldron; 05-05-2019 at 1:36 PM.
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

Quote Originally Posted by James Waldron View Post
    It is worth mention that Stan has never made his living selling tools. He is a major executive in a very major international construction company and supports Japanese blacksmiths and their wares out of respect and regard for their worth. I don't know if he marks up prices more than his expenses or not, and I don't care; as most of his "customers" have attested, his prices have been very fair and favorable compared to other sources of Japanese tools. And as most of his "customers" have attested, the quality of the tools he seeks out and furnishes are outstanding, at least as good as those available from other sources of Japanese tools.

His contributions to a wide variety of threads on SMC also demonstrate a useful and valuable contribution to the content on the site.

If Stewie has some information to impart about Stan, I wish he would present it less opaquely. I find castigation by innuendo rather distasteful. [I must admit, however, that my view of Stewie's post as edited may be more a comment for the unhappy decision of management to leave behind a highly ambiguous post devoid of substance.]
    James; I can tell you exactly why my original post was edited by a moderator. I sent him a pm. The reply received was, it was viewed as supplying advertising to Stan. So go figure.

regards;...........
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 05-05-2019 at 9:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    James; I can tell you exactly why my original post was edited by a moderator. I sent him a pm. The reply received was, It was viewed as supplying advertising to Stan. So go figure.

regards;...........
    That IS interesting. So as is so often the case, both aspects can be true. Stan is a fine upstanding guy, but SMC does not want him using their forum for business. Even if there is little or no profit being made. If they were to look the other way, it would balloon up by others wanting to similar things and become a problem.

But here's the real kicker, that wasn't deemed as advertising for Stan;

As to Stan, he doesn't lurk on any forum. The exile that resulted from him being discussed as a vendor on this forum has permanently soured him on participating in most online discussions. If you need a set of chisels, or even a few, talking to him direct is your best option. Stan has personal relationships with the Smiths he uses and will get you the very best chisel for the dollar. Plus, from the time I ordered mine until they were in my hands was a total or 3 days, all the way from Japan! The chisels I wanted were in stock. It might take a few weeks to several months to get chisels made that are not in stock.

Stan only operates by word of mouth and by having customers referred to him. He doesn't have a website or any other way to contact him other than email. If you would like to reach Stan, send me a PM, assuming you are a contributing member and have the ability to do that!

Those of you setting up Japanese chisels might find this page helpful: https://covingtonsons.home.blog/2019...anese-chisels/

But here's the real kicker, that wasn't deemed as advertising for Stan;

Yes. Excellent point.

JJ, thank you immensely!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jen Joy View Post
    Those of you setting up Japanese chisels might find this page helpful: https://covingtonsons.home.blog/2019...anese-chisels/
    Thank you for that link, Jen. I had Stan's email address and then lost it with a computer change. I really miss Stan not being around. He was a good friend and great source of informed knowledge on this forum.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Thank you for that link, Jen. I had Stan's email address and then lost it with a computer change. I really miss Stan not being around. He was a good friend and great source of informed knowledge on this forum.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    +1 Derek. I always enjoyed Stan's posts.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    +1 Derek. I always enjoyed Stan's posts.
    +2 on enjoying Stan's posts.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Fred & Jim; if you can stomach it, you might want to view the comment section of Stan's blog and see what he wrote about SMC.

Stewie;

Stewart,

Slow morning down under? If I were Stan, and considering how much he gave here and how he was treated, I'd judge those comments as tame. A very noble attempt to throw some shade Stan's way, but he doesn't deserve it. Now everyone go and check out Stan's blog, and while you are there inquire about buying some chisels.

Fred & Jim; if you can stomach it, you might want to view the comment section of Stan's blog and see what he wrote about SMC.

Stewie;