Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: A new set of chisels from Stan

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    We should start a poll - who gets discussed here (in absentia) the most?

Paul Sellers, Chris Schwarz, or Stan the man?

Edwin; ease up there, your getting way to close to the truth.

Stewie;

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    Edwin; ease up there, your getting way to close to the truth.

Stewie;
    Stewie, exactly 2 out of your last 20 posts to this forum have been about woodworking. 18 (90%) have been to stir up someone. This is not helpful.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Another +1 for the quality of c&s tools. My mortise chisels are very well appreciated. Stan was greatly helpful both pre and post purchase with any questions I had.

Blog Entries
    Just read Stan's blog. Well not all of the post on setting up Japanese chisels.

There were two mentions of SMC found. Mostly his SMC comments are about how he is glad to be free of the trolls & orcs hiding in the shadows of on-line forums who only come out for an opportunity to demean others.

My first thought was to include a quote in this post as a direct response to a comment. Then it occurred to me to not lend derogatory remarks any oxygen.

Now his blog has ben bookmarked. Hopefully he finds the time to share hight quality information as he did when posting here.

Some of the information Stan posted has been put in to practice in my own work. It is having a positive effect on my work and abilities.

It is almost tempting me into purchasing some of his chisels, ALMOST.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Just read Stan's blog.

My first thought was to include a quote in this post as a direct response to a comment. Then it occurred to me to not lend derogatory remarks any oxygen.

jtk
    +1. On forums I tend to look for what is useful, ignore the noise and not respond people just looking to stir the pot.

If you’re ever in Seattle feel free to stop by and try Them out.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Mathewson View Post
    +1. On forums I tend to look for what is useful, ignore the noise and not respond people just looking to stir the pot.

If you’re ever in Seattle feel free to stop by and try Them out.
    Thanks Keith, according to the sign on I-5 it is only about 130 miles. It is always kind of neat coming around that bend on I-5 and all of a sudden there be Seattle.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Just read Stan's blog. Well not all of the post on setting up Japanese chisels.

There were two mentions of SMC found. Mostly his SMC comments are about how he is glad to be free of the trolls & orcs hiding in the shadows of on-line forums who only come out for an opportunity to demean others.

*My first thought was to include a quote in this post as a direct response to a comment. Then it occurred to me to not lend derogatory remarks any oxygen.

Now his blog has ben bookmarked. Hopefully he finds the time to share hight quality information as he did when posting here.

Some of the information Stan posted has been put in to practice in my own work. It is having a positive effect on my work and abilities.

jtk
    jtk; I would suggest you read that comment section again.

Hi Vincent, thanks for kind words.

No, I don’t miss SMC: too much like Mordor.

But I do miss the stimulating conversation with people like you. Perhaps we can have similar discussions here among humans that know how to read, and without all the snarling, biting and defecating from the resident trolls and orcs.
    ps; If your wondering what forced me into responding to your post, you'll find that reason within the 3rd line of your post.

regards Stewie;
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 05-09-2019 at 2:31 AM.

Stewie; perhaps Moria would've been more apt a description. Certainly some mithril; good info to be found here - along with plenty of... Orc-ish-ness.

I'm far too lazy to go back and click around to re read the whole thread but as I remember it you insinuated that Stan's being on this forum was to sell his tools. I don't think he had the time or diabolical planning skills to spend years posting and starting threads on a wide array of topics for years for the purpose of selling chisels half a decade later but that's just me.

You orginally posted a quote from a tool retailer (I assume Jindaiko) as if it's suppose to mean something. They want to tell their customer on their own site to go to Stan if they're overseas; cool. Nice to know. As far as I know Jindaiko hasn't ever posted by themselves at SMC. Jessica has mentioned or recommended a few times. A bizarre thing to do, grab a quote from a business and just toss it in but okay.

The quote gets removed for "advertisement for Stan", well hmm. Considering that was the original purpose of the retailer on their original own site (separate from SMC) that makes sense.

And then the rest I forget much about except for the telling people to go read Stan's blog's comments if they could stomach it or something. Cool. I think they stomached it quite well. Maybe found it tasty based on their comments.

Is there a point to all this? I don't think people's minds are going to change; the many many posts of minds not changing is what leads me to that conclusion.

Regards,

Vincent

Vince; the likely crux of the matter is that there are certain members of this forum site that still believe Stan Covington was unfairly targeted by the administrator of this forum site. I for 1 don't agree with that assertion, but rather than waste your valuable time trying to explain why the administrator may have felt compelled to intervene, I will just refer you to the post by Dave Zellers.

regards Stewie;

That IS interesting. So as is so often the case, both aspects can be true. Stan is a fine upstanding guy, but SMC does not want him using their forum for business. Even if there is little or no profit being made. If they were to look the other way, it would balloon up by others wanting to similar things and become a problem.
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 05-09-2019 at 4:17 AM.

Vince; the likely crux of the matter is that there are certain members of this forum site that still believe Stan Covington was unfairly targeted by the administrator of this forum site. I for 1 don't agree with that assertion, but rather than waste your valuable time trying to explain why the administrator may have felt compelled to intervene, I will just refer you to the post by Dave Zellers.
    The Original Sin was that Stan put his email address in one of his posts. This was perceived by the administrata as advertising without a paid permit. Posts were nullified. Stan took offense and left. That is all.

Stewie,

The issue here that really vexes me is that this post was about a set of chisels that Pete Taran bought and liked. It just so happened that he purchased them from Stan.

You have made the thread into a rant about Stan. Please let it go. It adds nothing to the conversation about chisels.

For the record, I emailed with Stan awhile back after recognizing his understanding of the Japanese tool market with a question about the origin of a set of chisels I had purchased. He graciously told me who the maker was and provided an idea of their general quality.

But at no point did he try to sell me anything! He didn't even mention in the email that he sold tools.

Now, please can we talk more about chisels?

Jeff; I wont be adding any further comment to this thread.

regards;;;;;;;;;;;;

Jeff; I wont be adding any further comment to this thread.

regards;;;;;;;;;;;;
    Stewie, my intent was only for you to stop harping on Stan, not for you to leave the discussion entirely.

Blog Entries

ps; If your wondering what forced me into responding to your post, you'll find that reason within the 3rd line of your post.

regards Stewie;
    Yep, the comment you quoted…

Hi Vincent, thanks for kind words.

No, I don’t miss SMC: too much like Mordor.

But I do miss the stimulating conversation with people like you. Perhaps we can have similar discussions here among humans that know how to read, and without all the snarling, biting and defecating from the resident trolls and orcs.
    …is one of the two replies to comments which was referred to in my post.

If you feel your comments about Stan were not of a negative, derogatory nature, then maybe they were misunderstood by me and others.

jtk

Gentlemen, please refrain from feeding the troll(s). If they learn there is food here they will continue to come back for more. That is all.
    ---Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny---