Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A new set of chisels from Stan

A new set of chisels from Stan

I had the opportunity to purchase a new set of chisels from Stan recently and was quite impressed with both the quality and the price. Stan was very easy to do business with. He advised me to buy a specialty tool for cleaning out the bottom of mortises and it greatly exceeded my expectations. One can literally plane the bottom of a mortise with this tool. If you are in the market for Japanese tools I feel he would be a good source.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Keith; who was the maker of that nice set of H & R moulding planes.

Stewie;

Hi Stewie,

The evens I bought from Old Street back when they were Clark & Williams. I waited over 2 years to receive them. The odds, side rounds, snipe bills & shoulder planes I bought from Matt Bickford.

Thanks Keith.

Nice looking chisels! can you post pics of the backside, hollows etc?

Silly question, but what's that in the picture of the chisel, kinda looks like a short length of bamboo?

Also, who is this Stan?

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Lehman View Post
    Silly question, but what's that in the picture of the chisel, kinda looks like a short length of bamboo?

Also, who is this Stan?
    Not a silly question. It's a short length of bamboo. . . . with a rolled up piece of fabric that's been impregnated with oil. Basically a quick lubricant swipe that makes cutting much easier. Some prefer wax instead - but same philosophy.

Second answer: Stan Covington, a woodworker/builder that's lived in Japan for several years and has become an expert in Japanese tools. Search for posts he started to learn about some very interesting tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Flamone LaChaud View Post
    Not a silly question. It's a short length of bamboo. . . . with a rolled up piece of fabric that's been impregnated with oil. Basically a quick lubricant swipe that makes cutting much easier. Some prefer wax instead - but same philosophy.
    Interesting. I could see that being pretty handy. Is there a proper name or term for such a contraption?

Ask and ye shall receive, straight from the fingers of the man himself:
    https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....pot&highlight=

Glad to see that people haven't forgotten Stan.

Where did Stan go?

Stan appears to be our forum's answer to Bill Brasky.
    Last edited by Edwin Santos; 05-01-2019 at 5:17 PM.

Now I don't know who Bill Brasky is.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zona View Post
    Where did Stan go?
    Stan didn't go anywhere. He was a member/contributor to this forum. He would also discretely acquire tools for people when they requested. Then a discussion ensued when someone mentioned how pleased they were with tools they bought from Stan. After a while it ended up in a "parting of the ways" between Stan and the Sawmill Creek community.

It is sad because he is a very knowledgeable person and often shared many techniques and historical bits of information with the forum.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zona View Post
    Now I don't know who Bill Brasky is.
    It's an old recurring SNL skit where a trio of salesmen sit around in a bar swapping stories about a legendary character they all know and admire named Bill Brasky. In the skit you never see Bill Brasky but the stories about him get more and more ridiculously epic. If you watch the skit and then imagine Stan substituted for Brasky, and all the discussion would revolve around tools, it's kind of funny, but then I guess I'm warped.

By the way, this is all a compliment to Stan, so please take it in good fun.