Thread: Nail Guns 15 versus 18 gauge

Nail Guns 15 versus 18 gauge

You may have seen my other recent post regarding alternatives to Teflon tape for nail gun air connection. At this point I think I have that issue resolved. Ok.. so now that I have an 18-gauge brad nailer. Is there any reason to… (at a later time) purchase a 15-gauge angled finish nail gun?
    I mostly make furniture (no need for nails there) and occasionally cabinets. In the past I have used a 15-gauge nail gun for assembling cabinet carcasses and attaching face frames to the cabinets. Since the parts are glued as well as nailed, the nails are pretty much there just to hold things together until the glue dries. It looks like the 18-gauge brad nailer would do the trick for that and also allow me to use it on some finish carpentry (moldings etc.) as well. Do I need a heavier gun like the 15-gauge for cabinet work AND an 18-gauge nailer?
    What do you guys use the heavier gun for... that the smaller gun could not handle?
    Just thinking out loud

15g angle nail gun is great for millwork (installing baseboard, crown mouldings, installing windows and doors, etc. For any reason at all that you would even consider putting a nail gun to use on furniture / cabinet work, you would go smaller, maybe a 23g pin nailer.

Blog Entries
    This has just been my experience with my own home renos (there's been quite a few) so take it for what it's worth. I found that 18 Ga brads are fine for securing thin, light trim pieces, but for thicker, 3/4" & up, heavier trim, the 15 Ga holds better & actually will suck the trim tight to the wall from the nailing action. I can't imagine that 15's would be good for carcass construction cause they would be likely to split the sheet goods. 18's would hold things together fine until the glue dried.

I use my 18 around the shop for building jigs & such, but not really in furniture construction. The 15 is just used to feed my serial renovation illness.

I have a 15-gauge finish nailer but have never found a situation where I wanted to use it in the shop--it's a carpentry tool. What is super handy and versatile in the shop, on the other hand, is a narrow crown stapler. Perfect for making fixtures and shop furniture, attaching the backs on cabinets, and so on.

+1 on the 23 gauge I have recently started using it to hold glue ups while I put clamps on and is now invaluable

Thanks guys for your responses!

I do use my 15 gage gun for some furniture and cabinetry projects where I want/need additional holding power while I deal with countersinking and screwing. IMHO, they are complimentary, just like my 23 gage pinner is also complimentary to them. My current 15 gage gun is a yellow DeWalt that was an attractive price when my old-old-old Accuset broke with no parts availability. Needless to say, the 15 gage gun gets used for home improvement tasks, too, as well as when I'm building honeybee condominiums for Professor Dr. SWMBO.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I use a 15 ga for stuff that requires - A.) A fastener with a head. B.) Heavy solid wood - as opposed to hollow core - prehung doors. It fills a niche.
    I guess, for cabinetry, a 15 ga can be used to secure a base cabinet to a wall stud. I usually just run a Spax screw for that task since I have them on hand/on site to use to hang the uppers.

In general, I usually start with the smallest/lightest gauge/shortest fastener and work my way to something heavier if needed.
    23 ga - 1" max
    18 ga - 1 1/4" max
    16 ga - 2" max (with rare occasional 2 1/2" use)
    15 ga - 2 1/2"
    Framing nailer - > 2 1/2"

I know quite a few here like and use longer 23 and 18 ga - up to and including 2". I haven't felt the need to invest the significant amount of money required to run a gun with that capability - @ least not yet.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I use both, though I use the 18 gauge more.

I use my 18 gauge brad nailer for the application you listed. Perfect.

Heavier duty 15 gauge finishing nailer looks me closer to carpentry than furniture and cabinet making...

Thanks Rich and Jacob!

That was my view as well. Thanks Osvaldo

It's all about the fastener...if the "need" is better suited to the heavier 15 gage "real" nail, that's the one to use. Most woodworking/cabinetry work is satisfied with 18 and 23 gage fasteners...15 gage is just "nice to have" in the arsenal.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Jim!