Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Woodpeckers One-Time Honing Guide

Blog Entries
    Maybe being unable to decide which honing guide to buy is what leads some folks to freehand sharpening.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

2. The idea of the two wheels is interesting, but it also seems a bit like a solution looking for a problem. With the Lie-Nielsen or with the old eclipse style honing jigs I never really found it difficult to keep a blade stable by applying even pressure across the width. Perhaps this is not everyone's experience.

This is an interesting piece of engineering, but I am skeptical of its practicality.

Jim Pallas: You and I are on the same page, my friend.

The price is way too high for me. I do a good job of sharpening with a lot less expensive equipment.

If I remember correctly, the full kit is about $250.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

5. I agree it is expensive, but my Lie-Nielsen and the various jaws I have for it surely cost at least as much as the full kit.

When the Lie-Nielsen came out I balked at the price, but then I received one as a gift and now could not imagine ever being without it. If it were to get lost or stolen I would buy another.

You guys are awesome! You just saved me 150 bucks!!!!
    I guess I'll keep using my cheapo General guide for now...….

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    You guys are awesome! You just saved me 150 bucks!!!!
    I guess I'll keep using my cheapo General guide for now...….
    Why fix it if it ain't broke?

Especially if the fix could make you broke!

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

8. Why does WoodPecker release these tools and jigs for a limited time only?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Martin Winnipeg View Post
    Why does WoodPecker release these tools and jigs for a limited time only?
    From the source: https://www.woodpeck.com/one-time-tools.html

They really are a (relatively) small machine shop, and I believe they work hard at producing tools that thy believe will meet a demand. I’ve been in their shop-went there several years ago to repair a router lift. They fixed it while I waited, even gave me a tour of their shop while my lift was repaired, at no charge. Other than the above-mentioned router lift, I own their original drill press table (top notch) and a bevel gauge that is as good as any boutique bevel gauge made anywhere. Their tools are not for everyone (because of design, not quality), and that’s understandable. However, they are good people and I believe that sometimes they get bashed when it is not deserved.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Why fix it if it ain't broke?

Especially if the fix could make you broke!

jtk
    LOL. What REALLY peaked my interest was the guide fence and the precision there. Yes, I'm a toolaholic. NEED new tools. Right now I use a piece of plywood and 3 different stops for different angles. Soooo. Limited to those 3 angles. That is really cool. Not quite worth that price, and the non-ability to round that plane blade edge. Think I'll pass for now. I'll probably regret it later. I love their tools and quality.

Blog Entries
    Woodpecker tools are tempting, but they aren't really my style.

My preference is for old tools with rosewood handles.

jtk

I use the lap sharp guide. Very easy to set angles and accepts skewed blades. http://www.lapsharp.com/honing-guide/index.html

My honing guide ( for setting a bevel) was sold by Irwin. Other than too thick of blue paint, works just fine....think about that, for a while...

On serious side, lack of repeatability with jig (MK2) lead me to free hand honing, if not the complete process.