Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shoulder plane? Plow (plough) or combination plane? Jointer plane?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurtis Johnson View Post
    The rolled knurling at the top is very unusual. They must indeed be more on the rarer side. Do you know when they were made? (Don't go looking, just curious.) Interesting!
    It is only a few steps to my reference on this:

This series of chisels were offered individually as Stanley #440 from 1926 to 1935. They were also offered in sets with numbers like #446 and #449 for six and nine chisels sets. There were also other #4XX with different lengths or set sizes over the same time period.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    I see absolutely no reason not to have at least one of each kind of tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    It is only a few steps to my reference on this:

This series of chisels were offered individually as Stanley #440 from 1926 to 1935. They were also offered in sets with numbers like #446 and #449 for six and nine chisels sets. There were also other #4XX with different lengths or set sizes over the same time period.

jtk
    Thanks, Jim. I will be looking into those. Okay, I’m done hijacking.

Blog Entries
    Good luck, they haven't appeared but a couple times in my years of searching. Mine came from my brother who found it in an estate sale.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I see absolutely no reason not to have at least one of each kind of tool.
    Bingo. This is my firm policy.

Right on. On my budget I have no delusions that I could collect, just an intellectual interest. For my collection, I've relied heavily on opportunity, so you can imagine my assortment is rather eclectic. I know about more tools than I own. I think I'd enjoy a game of Trivial Pursuit: Vintage Tool Edition.
    Last edited by Kurtis Johnson; 05-17-2019 at 11:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Lowetz View Post
    I recently did a project with quite a few mortise/tenons and I'm a methodical tester.
    I got 2 shoulder planes, a new Stanley 92 (1 of 2 new stanleys, this one was actually good) and... some other thing. Both were well build, good tolerances etc. I used them a little but found a chisel worked about as well.

. . .

Now the tongue-in-groove, a plough plane would certainly be helpful there. I'd worry more about this than the mortise-and-tenon personally. Rabbet plane ,plow plane, even a router plane with the right blade (plow/narrow) seem good for this.
    Hi Jerry,

Thanks for your input and advice as well. Yours is yet another voice advocating for the plough plane and indicating that the shoulder plane is not my best choice here. Based on the advice and comments here as well as what I have read elsewhere, it appears that the plough and jointer planes would both be good choices for very different reasons.

Best regards,
    Michael