Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Still free upgrade to Win 10

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    I believe part of my slow running experience with Win 10 was that I only had 4 gig of ram. I just upped it to 8 gigs (cost under $33) and now it runs more to my expectations. Still might add an SSD drive. Looking at this hybrid: https://www.amazon.com/Laptop-Solid-...ustomerReviews
    Spring for an SSD. The prices have come down quite a bit and the improvement in performance is amazing.

Here's a Crucial 1TB SSD for a modest amount.

No matter which way you go, you'll need cloning software. Macrium Reflect Free is very good but then you'll need to expand the main part of the drive. Easeus Partition Master Free will do that and it's easy to use.

Mike

I like the Samsung SSDs but they're a bit more expensive. If you look at the minimum write life on modern SSDs, it's way beyond any normal usage. I have a 4tb SSD in my computer and the minimum (guaranteed) write life is something like 2,400TB of write. There's absolutely no way I could ever get to that limit.
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 06-11-2019 at 7:02 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    I believe part of my slow running experience with Win 10 was that I only had 4 gig of ram. I just upped it to 8 gigs (cost under $33) and now it runs more to my expectations. Still might add an SSD drive.
    8gb RAM is the "new base", IMHO. But adding that SSD will be eye-opening to you! One of my machines is a 2010 iMac...when I added the SSD a number of years ago (yea...they were more money then)...it made it run better than new and it still feels like a "fast" computer despite being an old i3. Today's operating systems do a lot of interchange with the primary storage medium for a variety of things and the read/write for an SSR is "lightyears" faster than a spinning hard drive.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I second the recommendation of Samsung SSD drives. I've been using them for years, both at home and at work, and never had any issues. They just work, and work well.

I would not recommend a hybrid drive. It sounds like a good idea, but in reality they don't work as well as they should. It is just way better and easier to go with a true SSD.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Spring for an SSD. The prices have come down quite a bit and the improvement in performance is amazing.

Here's a Crucial 1TB SSD for a modest amount.

I like the Samsung SSDs but they're a bit more expensive. If you look at the minimum write life on modern SSDs, it's way beyond any normal usage. I have a 4tb SSD in my computer and the minimum (guaranteed) write life is something like 2,400TB of write. There's absolutely no way I could ever get to that limit.
    I've got the previous model (850) Samsung to this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078DPCY3T...ing=UTF8&psc=1 … running like a champ for three years now. Back then 1TB SSD was $300+ and Crucial SSDs were 15%-20% more than a similar Samsung, looks like that situation has flip-flopped.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

so, what are the downsides to an external SSD?
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Well, you could boot from an external drive but you'd be limited by the speed of the USB port (assuming you hook the drive up via USB). Otherwise, you'd still be booting from your slow HDD and you could store data on your external SSD. The real advantage of an SSD is for the operating system.

It's pretty easy to clone an existing drive and install an SSD in its place. I'd highly recommend going that route.

If you're hesitant about doing the swap yourself, there are people who will come to your place and do it for a reasonable fee.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

The technical downside is quite simple...the speed of the connection to the computer will limit the performance of the SSD. Ideally, you'd want Thunderbolt III/USB-C for best performance. But many existing computers have neither of these. USB-2 and/or USB-3 are very slow compared to the fast connections you generally get with an internally attached drive.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    The technical downside is quite simple...the speed of the connection to the computer will limit the performance of the SSD. Ideally, you'd want Thunderbolt III/USB-C for best performance. But many existing computers have neither of these. USB-2 and/or USB-3 are very slow compared to the fast connections you generally get with an internally attached drive.
    eSATA maybe?
    There's this: https://www.amazon.com/Vantec-SATA-e.../dp/B014LQOG58 to hold the drive,
    plus this: https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-PEXE.../dp/B003GSGMPU to connect it.

(They had an even simpler interface card, just an I/O bracket with SATA cable sockets on the inside and eSATA cable sockets on the outside. But I doubt that one is hot-swappable.)
    Last edited by Lee DeRaud; 06-12-2019 at 11:54 AM.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.

@Kev: Check your motherboard. You may have an external (esata) set of jacks on your PC. If you do, there are no downsides to using an external SSD compared to an internal SSD.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Blog Entries
    A PCIe SSD will be significantly faster than USB 3 or SATA. I don't know if there are any external PCIe drives though.

No esata jacks, just three 1394's and a couple of 'display' jacks on the back of the video card, which is getting replaced as soon as my new GTX-750 ti shows up...

Just opened it up, inside I have bay space beneath the DVD (didn't think about that ) and 2 open sata jacks so I should be okay for an internal install--

I've been looking at 1/2tb SSD,s and just got noticing my 1tb hard drive is storing just south of 600gbs already?! There's only 42 folders and 62 'items' on the whole drive-- All photos and video's are on 2 other drives, and all of my work/job folders for are on a separate 80g drive (on this machine)-- I need to search the drive to see what's eating all the space?

So I guess I should spring for a full tb drive...

Thanks btw everyone for the suggestions!
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    eSATA maybe?
    There's this: https://www.amazon.com/Vantec-SATA-e.../dp/B014LQOG58 to hold the drive,
    plus this: https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-PEXE.../dp/B003GSGMPU to connect it.

(They had an even simpler interface card, just an I/O bracket with SATA cable sockets on the inside and eSATA cable sockets on the outside. But I doubt that one is hot-swappable.)
    When there is ability to add the fast interface, something external can perform better. These days, however, I suspect that the majority of folks don't have machines that you can do this because of the major movement toward portable devices.
    --

If your motherboard has the correct connector for it, this widget is slightly more expensive than a standard SATA SSD, but much faster:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    (Good chance if the computer/motherboard is less than 2-3 years old.)

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    If your motherboard has the correct connector for it, this widget is slightly more expensive than a standard SATA SSD, but much faster:
    It doesn't but for $13 I can add this adapter-- workable?

adapter.jpg
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

It doesn't but for $13 I can add this adapter-- workable?

adapter.jpg
    I have a PCIe in one of my computers as the only SSD in that unit (the only drive in the unit). Regular SATA (6 Gbps) in my other computers. While the PCIe is probably faster, I can't tell the difference for the applications that I use (i7 processor in two of them). I would only go for that PCIe if you're doing some application that's really I/O bound.

Of course, if your computer presently uses a PCIe SSD as your only SSD, I'd certainly replace it with a larger PCIe.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 06-14-2019 at 1:51 PM.