Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Still free upgrade to Win 10

Microsoft has all interest to turn everybody to the last Windows

After resist for long time expecting for bug fixing from Microsoft, last year finally I went from my great Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10 in my home made (then) five years old workstation... despite the free offer for the upgrade
    technically w
    as dued, I had no diffcults to upgrade it straightly from their site... free of charge, of course!

Microsoft has all interest to turn everybody to the last Windows release so if you have a regular license from previous OS I think you will have no difficulties to get free upgrade. Why do not test?
    Last edited by Osvaldo Cristo; 05-04-2019 at 9:50 AM. Reason: Typo as usual
    All the best.

Osvaldo.

I fully agree you when the Windows 10 was released

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Windows 10 is a "downgrade" from 7 pro. There is a reason corporate computers use 7 pro.
    I fully agree you when the Windows 10 was released and that was the main reason I stayed with Windows 7 Ultimate up to last year when finally I went to Windows 10 upgrade route despite I hated Microsoft to force the upgrade at its release!

I decided for the upgrade as a couple of applications I use extensively for image processing at home lost compatibility with previous Windows editions and I imagined after so long time released Microsoft would patch the original release to a more stable and comprehensive OS. My one year extensive use of it points Windows 10 is at least so stable and reliable than my (beloved) Windows XP 64-bit and Windows 7.

The upgrade was simple and direct with most of my applications migrated smoothly. I had to re-install a couple of them. My biggest loss was my XP Virtual Machine where in the Windows 7 I run a couple of applications with more sentimental than practical sense, including my fantastic MacSyma - but I was aware of that previously to the upgrade, so no surprise, actually.
    Last edited by Osvaldo Cristo; 05-04-2019 at 10:04 AM.
    All the best.

Osvaldo.

Just my opinion, but the Win7-XP virtual machine was nothing more than a plot by MS to convince the user that win7 was MUCH better than XP. This became glaringly clear to me after downloading Virtual box onto the same win7 computer, installed my XP Pro and started working. You simply won't find a faster working computer than an fresh installed XP virtual machine running in the background of an 8 core 32gig ram win7 64. In contrast, the built-in VM was like trying to stir coal tar with a toothpick. It's frustratingly slow pace just plain got old, and FAST, which is why I tried Vbox in the first place. But alas, I could never get the USB port sharing to cooperate in Vbox so I don't use it either.. a whole separate computer and a KVM switch is SO much easier...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

What, no love for ME
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

So they're giving away Win10, and now I'm getting email ads to buy Win10 at a 25% discount... lol
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

@Kev: I think you are limited to updating from win 7 or 8 if using the free media provided by MS. If you want a clean install, you need to pay for the media.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Wilkinson View Post
    @Kev: I think you are limited to updating from win 7 or 8 if using the free media provided by MS. If you want a clean install, you need to pay for the media.
    I've downloaded a Win10 iso from Microsoft's site and burned it to a disk. It installed and ran without glitch or nag. I only ran it for a short time so can't say whether it would have gotten problematic over time or not. I use Windows about 15 minutes every 28 days so can't say if it's good or bad, does what I need it to do.