Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Still free upgrade to Win 10

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    I've been looking at 1/2tb SSD,s and just got noticing my 1tb hard drive is storing just south of 600gbs already?! There's only 42 folders and 62 'items' on the whole drive-- All photos and video's are on 2 other drives, and all of my work/job folders for are on a separate 80g drive (on this machine)-- I need to search the drive to see what's eating all the space?
    Running a 'Pro' edition of Win7/Win10 with 'File History' turned on? I went through the same kabuki dance with GF's machine: 1TB drive showed only 150GB free (so 850GB used), but the visible folders only totaled about 450GB. My other Win7 machines had all used 'Home Premium', which lacked that feature.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

I found the problem- back around tax time I was suddenly missing most of my previous return records! So I thought I'd try Ccleaner's 'recuva' program- which worked wonderfully btw- but what I didn't realize was that I gave it over 300 gigs of data to search thru, which ended up on my C-drive! Now I'm down to 386 used, which I could probably whittle down, but I think a 1tb drive would be worth the extra money to be sure

FWIW I received my Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 ti video card yesterday, got it installed-- it replaced the factory Quadro FX 580 card... my gawd, it's like a bolt of lightning hit this computer!. I had no clue how badly the FX 580 was slowing everything down! Changing text in complex DXF's I receive used to take around 4 seconds, same procedure is done in less than a second- Alt-tabbing from Gravostyle to Corel was a 3 to 4 second wait, it's less than a second now. Changing to the next 8 mgpxl pic in photo viewer used to take 1-2 seconds, now I can get to the next pic nearly as fast as I can push the mouse button. Everything is instant now!

Other than changing a video card once with another one I had handy, which fried the motherboard about 3 minutes later, I've never messed with display drivers...
    To quote the pilot when he finds out Mad Max's shotgun was never loaded... "Awl this toyme..."

A shiny new SSD is really looking good now
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Kev, computing has gotten to the point technologically that the central processing unit isn't the major bottleneck like it was "back in the day". Input/Output is where that's at these days. Everything is visual/graphics oriented and there is a lot of data that gets shifted in RAM and to/from local storage. So improving video processing/output as well as file/data input/output can really kick things up a notch even with a slightly "mature" computer. 'Glad you are seeing that performance increase with the changes you made so far!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    So improving video processing/output as well as file/data input/output can really kick things up a notch even with a slightly "mature" computer.
    And now you have me reconsidering my decision to live with the integrated video on the machine I built up over the weekend. It's an i7-8700 with 32GB of RAM: no gaming, no 3D. I wasn't sure how much the low-end Nvidea board I had in my old machine would matter...the only reason I had it in the old machine was because the integrated video on a 2nd-gen i7 topped out at 1080P and I needed something to drive the 1440P 32" monitor.

So far the thing feels stupidly fast.
    Last edited by Lee DeRaud; 06-17-2019 at 1:27 PM.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.

Blog Entries
    I don't do 3D or gaming, but I found that I need at least a mid level graphics card for stable performance. I use a 30" & 2 19" monitors, & even though the lower end cards are supposed to handle that, they don't do well at it.

Kinda depends upon what you do with your computer, Lee. Some things are going to greatly benefit from a more capable video co-processing system; some will not, at least in a clearly noticeable way. But I get the monitor thing and am very thankful my Mid-2012 Macbook Pro 13" Retina can drive this 27" monitor at 2560 x 1440 with no issue as I do a lot of graphics things that benefit from the detail of more pixels. (It's a Core i5 which isn't stellar, but rarely do I see it slow much other than when Windoz in the VM is getting updated...more RAM would help, but I can't add any to this machine)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Kinda depends upon what you do with your computer, Lee. Some things are going to greatly benefit from a more capable video co-processing system; some will not, at least in a clearly noticeable way.
    The two main apps for this machine are Photoshop and CorelDraw, both of which seem more sensitive to RAM size and disk speed. I've got a couple of obscure photo processing apps and PS plugins that could use the GPU for computations, but on the old machine, they ran about as fast on the CPU as on the Nvidia...and the new one's CPU is much faster.

Unless I decide I really want a gamer-class ($$$) GPU, I think I'm good to go for now. I'd probably bump the RAM to 64GB first.
    Last edited by Lee DeRaud; 06-17-2019 at 9:52 PM.

OK, so I ordered up the Crucial SSD that Mike Henderson suggested a page & a half ago from Amazon yesterday, just showed up--

So I go to the Crucial website for install info... This drive is intended to fit in laptops, and try as I might, I can't find any info on their website about installing this drive in a desktop-- not hard I know, but the cloning instructions for a laptop require a sata to usb converter which of course I don't have...

Since this drive will just sit in an unused drive bay within the machine and I have SATA cables ready to connect to it, my stupid question is, I don't need a sata/usb converter to clone my old drive, correct? Just run the cloning software, then switch the boot drives around in BIOS and I should be good to go--?
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

Since this drive will just sit in an unused drive bay within the machine and I have SATA cables ready to connect to it, my stupid question is, I don't need a sata/usb converter to clone my old drive, correct? Just run the cloning software, then switch the boot drives around in BIOS and I should be good to go--?
    Yup, that's how I recall doing it. The cloning software shouldn't care how the new blank drive is connected..

OK, so I ordered up the Crucial SSD that Mike Henderson suggested a page & a half ago from Amazon yesterday, just showed up--

So I go to the Crucial website for install info... This drive is intended to fit in laptops, and try as I might, I can't find any info on their website about installing this drive in a desktop-- not hard I know, but the cloning instructions for a laptop require a sata to usb converter which of course I don't have...

Just a note - the clone software that Crucial provides is junk. Download the Macrium Reflect, or get the Easeus Clone software. Macrium works well but you may have to adjust the partitions and the Easeus partition master free will do that for you.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

As Mike recommended, I use the free version of Macrium to clone. It works very well and is easy to understand. Make sure that Macium turns TRIM on. I think it will by default when it sees the receiving drive is an SSD, but if not, turn it on. Once you finish the clone, change your BIOS to boot from the new SSD to check everything out. Once happy, backup the new ssd and then you can do whatever you like with the old drive.
    Last edited by Grant Wilkinson; 06-19-2019 at 1:30 PM.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Wilkinson View Post
    As Mike recommended, I use the free version of Macrium to clone. It works very well and is easy to understand. Make sure that Macium turns TRIM on. I think it will by default when it sees the receiving drive is an SSD, but if not, turn it on. Once you finish the clone, change your BIOS to boot from the new SSD to check everything out. Once happy, backup the new ssd and then you can do whatever you like with the old drive.
    Why not just plug the SSD into the main board in the position the old drive was and boot from it and plug the original drive in as the secondary?

So-

-- I opened computer, found a power plug to use, stole a SATA cable from an old computer, plugged in the drive, then booted up-
    -- Once booted, no sign of the new drive. Oh yeah, Dell... I forgot....
    -- Went into BIOS and yup, the SATA1 port was turned off. Turned it on and rebooted...
    -- Computer wouldn't boot. Hardware problem. Arrgghh...
    -- Disconnected the drive, still no boot...
    -- Checked the BIOS, SATA0 is the first boot, ok, so... ?
    -- Traced the cables. Duh, SATA0 is my 80gig spare drive. SATA3 is the Master...
    -- Checked the boot order again, SATA3 is at the very bottom...so, WHY did BIOS move the Master to the bottom of the boot order when the new drive wasn't even initialized yet?
    -- Moved SATA3 up to the top. Computer boots up, yay! But still no sign of the new drive.
    -- I downloaded the Acronis earlier, so I run it.
    -- Asks me which drives are being copied to which, I respond, it says 'initializing drive', then a few seconds later "estimating time remaining"...
    -- I go upstairs figuring it'll take till I wake up (it's 2am at the time) to move 300gb over so I watch a little TV with the wife.
    -- Commercial break, I go see how much longer for kicks. --42 minutes remaining-- Really? not HOURS? And about 1/2 hour later, it was finished-
    -- Changed the boot order, computer fired up, and sure enough my C drive is now the SSD and the old C drive is now the F drive. And they are, virtually identical!
    -- So, what's wrong with Acronis? Cloning the old drive was probably the least dramatic computer maintenance project I've ever done!

First thing I noticed- it actually took just as long if not longer to boot up..? But I'm sure part of that was due to having the old drive become the F drive, plus an additional 'system reserved' drive automatically added to go with the SSD, and all the messing up of my network drives that all that caused -- And Gravostyle7 still takes close to a minute to load. But I'm sure some time was cut down, never timed it before. A lot of other slow nonsense I've been dealing is now pretty much gone which is great. I'm sure I'll find more to like about it as I go...

The old Master drive isn't moving. I'm just going to remove everything but Windows and my email and graphics programs. It's a 1tb drive and I'm going to copy all the photos from my 9 year old backup drive onto it, plus all my work files that I keep on an old slow 80gig drive. And I have a 6tb drive that auto backs up all my work files every night, so I have nothing to back up

Many thanks to all for the suggestions and assistance , my hotrod is now probably faster than my XP's! -- and apologies for the major thread hijack!
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Windows 10 is a "downgrade" from 7 pro. There is a reason corporate computers use 7 pro.
    Plus the unannounced upgrades that can take minutes to hours when you need the computer to do your job. All the "reporting" back to microsoft of things the computer shouldn't be relaying to the mothership.

I'll stick with Win 7 for as long as I can thank you very much.

-- So, what's wrong with Acronis? Cloning the old drive was probably the least dramatic computer maintenance project I've ever done!
    I've tried to use the Crucial supplied Acronis software to clone to new Crucial SSDs and have had many problems. If you read the reviews on Amazon for Crucial SSDs you'll see many negative comments about the Acronis software for cloning a new drive.

I'm glad you didn't have any problems. Maybe Crucial finally got after Acronis and forced them to provide a version of the software that works. I hope so.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.