Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Still free upgrade to Win 10

@Barry: I don't understand your question, Barry. There is no need to change which ports the drives are plugged into.Kev didn't go it that way and all seems well.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Wilkinson View Post
    @Barry: I don't understand your question, Barry. There is no need to change which ports the drives are plugged into.Kev didn't go it that way and all seems well.
    Just a suggestion.... When I changed my pc to an SSD I cloned it from the old drive then took the side cover off the pc and looked at the motherboard. There are 4 SATA connections for hard drives color coded. My main drive was plugged into the red one, the others were empty. So I just unplugged the old drive and plugged it into the yellow connector and plugged the new SSD the red one. Now when I boot up it recognizes whatever is plugged into the red connector as the main drive which is the SSD and the old drive as the secondary drive.... no need to switch anything in the BIOS.... I realize there are other ways to set the new drive as the main but for me this seemed like the easiest way to do it.
    Last edited by Barry McFadden; 06-20-2019 at 2:29 PM.

I never even heard of SATA until about 3 years ago, very cool improvement. You can turn any SATA port on or off in BIOS, and changing the boot drive order is simple matter of using the arrow keys to scroll to the drive/port, and using the U or D key to move it up or down the boot order list. For me that was the easy way, didn't have to move or re-move anything inside other than plugging in the new drive...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    I never even heard of SATA until about 3 years ago, very cool improvement. You can turn any SATA port on or off in BIOS, and changing the boot drive order is simple matter of using the arrow keys to scroll to the drive/port, and using the U or D key to move it up or down the boot order list. For me that was the easy way, didn't have to move or re-move anything inside other than plugging in the new drive...
    Welcome to the 21st century. Next up is NVMe. It seems difficult to compare throughputs of different technologies but:

7200 RPM Hard Drive – average read/write speed of 80-160MB/second

SATA 3 SSD – read/write speed up to 550MB/second

NVME SSD – read/write speed up to 3500MB/second

https://www.online-tech-tips.com/com...nd-comparison/

The trick of course is to have a place to plug an NVMe drive.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Welcome to the 21st century. Next up is NVMe. It seems difficult to compare throughputs of different technologies but:

7200 RPM Hard Drive – average read/write speed of 80-160MB/second

SATA 3 SSD – read/write speed up to 550MB/second

NVME SSD – read/write speed up to 3500MB/second

https://www.online-tech-tips.com/com...nd-comparison/

The trick of course is to have a place to plug an NVMe drive.
    NVMe is a protocol that connects an M2 drive to PCIe, as opposed to SATA. An M2 is that skinny little form factor that is about the size of a stick of gum and can be either SATA or PCIe. One that connects directly to a special PCIe socket on the motherboard uses NVMe protocol.

And yes, they are screaming fast. I have a couple of computers with them & they will go from POST to the logon screen in 4-5 seconds. A SATA boot drive on the same computer will probably take at least 30 seconds to do the same thing.
    Last edited by Frank Pratt; 06-21-2019 at 9:59 AM. Reason: typo

For all the high-speed and other nonsense, there's not a single computer built since Aug. 23rd 2001 that will run my favorite graphics/vectorizing program. And half the computers built since 2004 won't run 12 of my machines without a problematic adapter cable...
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

I have to ask, Kev. What's the program?
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Blog Entries
    For all the high-speed and other nonsense, there's not a single computer built since Aug. 23rd 2001 that will run my favorite graphics/vectorizing program. And half the computers built since 2004 won't run 12 of my machines without a problematic adapter cable...
    Can you not load a new computer with the older OS?

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Wilkinson View Post
    I have to ask, Kev. What's the program?
    And have they put out an updated version of the program that runs on modern operating systems?

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

In my signature; CasMate. I have 3 versions, the original of which is a DOS program I bought in 1992--to operate they have security dongle that must be plugged into an LPT port with access to DOS memory. No such port exists on any OS newer than ME, and as even dumb old me knows, ME and older aren't actually OS's. Compared to Corel and AI and similar, CasMate is a simple and no nonsense program designed to create vector toolpaths for vinyl cutting, sign printing and rotary tool engraving. It's vector trace program works faster and better than any others I've used, and the main reason I need it. CasMate sold out LONG ago, forget who to, no upgrades

Can you not load a new computer with the older OS?
    Short version, MS has always gone out of their way to render older computers and OS's completely and utterly useless and incompatible with newer stuff. I'd love to give Gates a tour of my home based shop and explain to him why I need working win98 and XP computers to run my business...
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

In my signature; CasMate. I have 3 versions, the original of which is a DOS program I bought in 1992--to operate they have security dongle that must be plugged into an LPT port with access to DOS memory. No such port exists on any OS newer than ME...
    LPT PCI adapter and a 32-bit copy of Win7?
    https://www.amazon.com/Port-Express-.../dp/B001Q7X0Z8
    Works with MACH3, which is about as low-level access to a parallel port as it gets.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

@Barry: Tks, Barry. I see where you are coming from. In my case, my "old ssd" was plugged into sata 3. I had sata 0 to 6 ports on my mobo. If I had moved it to sata 2, for example and plugged the new ssd into sata 3, where the old ssd came from, my computer would have booted into the old ssd as its port (sata 2) was higher in the default boot order than the new one. Instead, I don't worry about which numbered sata port anything is plugged into. I set the boot order in the BIOS.

@Kev: I searched on casmate and found that there is a current version for sale out of Australia. I don't know if that is of any interest to you, but since you said that there had not been any updates for some time, I thought that I would pass it along. Your issue seems not to be a Windows issue as much as it is a hardware issue. You need a parallel port and newer pcs no longer have them. As has been said, you can buy a pci card that will give you a parallel port, then load any operating system you want on the the PC, either resident or in a virtual machine.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Lee, that's good to know, would those cards work in a win 8 or 10? I'm assuming so, and that would at least let me connect my old machines to them. I've used a few USB to serial cables, but I found them unreliable, which sucks to find that out while engraving someone else's parts. While these ports may run my machines, they won't run CasMate. Pretty much all XP's and most win7's have parallel ports and these dongles won't work in them. I don't fully understand or remember all the reasons but best I recollect, they run an extremely long unique number sequence into some memory address, where a set of math functions unique to each dongle is performed on the numbers, and the answer gets read back to the dongle. Wrong or no answer, no worky. As I understand it (or don't ) parallel ports in XP and newer don't have access to motherboard memory, or something to that effect, so the dongle and motherboard are invisible to each other... I guess -doesn't work, that's all I know for absolute certain!

I have seen so-called XP-capable Casmate's for sale every so often, but they were spendy enough to keep me away.

If I wasn't so close to (semi) retirement I'd take a look into the Austrailian version. And, I have two backup 98's collecting dust but ready to go if need be!
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

Lee, that's good to know, would those cards work in a win 8 or 10?
    The cards will...problem is, I'm not sure there are bit-level bidirectional drivers for 64-bit versions of Windows. So it depends on exactly how low-level any given interface works. (That was always a sticking point with MACH3: if you used a parallel-port interface, you were stuck with a 32-bit OS. Caveat: last time I looked at that stuff was about 2014.)

In any case, at $22 it's easy enough to try, even without taking advantage of Amazon's liberal return policies.
    Last edited by Lee DeRaud; 06-22-2019 at 1:48 AM.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Kev, direct memory access was very common "long ago"...but is a tough row to hoe in current generation OS because it's a huge, huge, HUGE security issue.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...