Thread: NEW(?) Oneida Super Dust Deputy "Deluxe"

NEW(?) Oneida Super Dust Deputy "Deluxe"

Hi all,

Anyone have any experience/thoughts on the newest Oneida Super Dust Deputy Deluxe? Link here: https://www.woodcraft.com/products/o...RoCw6AQAvD_BwE

Looks like they may have listened to all the "constructive feedback" about the original not having standard/logical inlet sizes. I never did understand their decision to make a product aimed squarely at the Harbor Freight market and then size the inlets COMPLETELY WRONG to go with the sizes of duct/pipe you'd be running with that setup.

Anyways - this unit has 4" inlet and outlet which should be able to hook into a typical 1-1.5 HP setup MUCH more easily. The overall size is smaller compared to the original SDD (which probably makes sense given, again, the target market), and the bottom of the cyclone appears to be built right into the lid of the included 15 gallon dust bin. I've held off getting the original SDD and have been rocking a shop-made Thein separator because I didn't want the hassle of retrofitting the SDD into my setup. This might put me over the edge into grabbing this upgrade along with a Wynn filter.

Thoughts????
    Proud to Hate Michigan Athletics Since 1981

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I just received it from Amazon and sent it back without even opening. Just based on the size of the box this thing is TINY! The drum would fill up in 5 minutes on a lunch box planer. I just couldn’t justify the $220 for this. Also I am starting with a 4” system but would have to replace the whole cyclone if I upgraded to 6”. The super dust deputy would be a better investment and if you look hard on the Oneida website they have the appropriate adapters to connect the cyclone to 4”, 5” or 6” on the inlet and outlet.

Jason,

I've had one of these for about a year and am happy with it. If there's an option to buy just the cyclone without the dust bin, go for that, and get your own dust bin. I'm just a hobbyist, and don't use my planer much, so capacity isn't that big of a deal, but the mechanics of connecting the cyclone to the dust bin are terrible. I finally gave up and bought a plastic salvage drum, cut a hole in the lid, bolted it to the SDD and sealed with some silicone caulk - much less hassle when it's time to empty the bin. The drum I bought has a capacity of 20 gallons, which is fine for me. I assume you can find larger ones if you need the extra capacity.

https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-1654-Bl.../dp/B000LDEP0C

I had the old one on a 40 gallon blue bucket. I found the easiest thing for me to do was to build a 2x4 and ply platform roughly 24x24 and mount it on the wall and then with
    2 of these put a piece of flex between the 2. That way you can change bucket and hard pipe. I also used this station to mount a low speed grinder so as not to waste space

Mine performs well. Put your own drum underneath. FWIW, I hate the connections too. That's the most stressful part of the set up.

Yeah the smaller drum size on this guy is definitely a "con" for me - since I already own a nice 40 gallon one. I'm not terribly worried about future-proofing it, because if I ever upgrade to 6" ducting that would be paired with the purchase of an actual cyclone. It's been a while since I've done the research but I don't think the Harbor Freight dust collector is enough for 6"? And yeah I've found those adapters - it was more just the principal of having to shell out an extra $40ish dollars on top of the purchase price to obtain a functional product.
    Proud to Hate Michigan Athletics Since 1981

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

At this point the regular cyclone with the the adapter is about the same or slight cheaper than the 4” one with a useless drum.