Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sliding table for a cabinet saw.

Sliding table for a cabinet saw.

I know that SawStop/Grizzly/King/ShopFox and possibly others have sliding table that can attach to a cabinet saw to replace the left wing. I realize that you still wont have the scoring blade so my main question is are they worth the cost and trouble of removing the left wing and moving or cutting the existing fence rails?

Do they have any benefits for ripping or are they just helping with cutting sheet goods?

Thanks.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

Hi Marshall

I run a cabinet saw and I've looked into adding an aftermarket slider. For me it doesn't make sense because I can't enough capacity with one of these to run a full 8' sheet. Plus, as you mentioned, I would still be missing the scoring blade.

The other drawback of the aftermarket sliders is that they use legs for support and these would seem to get in the way.

I do see a benefit from a slider for ripping - You should be able to get a very clean cut and it may reduce the risk of kickback since there is no binding against the fence.

My plan is to stick with a track saw for breaking down sheets. Then I sometimes go to the cabinet saw with a good laminate/veneer blade to clean up the edges before banding. This takes extra passes, but I finally get a great edge...

As soon as I accumulate an extra $15K I'll get something like a Felder 700

Cheers,
    Mark

Hi Mark,

From the after market ones that I have looked at it doesn't appear to me that the slider is used much for ripping as they seem more like a crosscut sled or miter type gadget. I'll probably end up with something like the Kreg Adaptive Cutting System and a track saw for sheet goods. and use my Osborne EB3 or a sled for crosscutting. Doesn't seem like there are any better ways for ripping other than maybe adding a feeder.
    Marshall
    A Stickley fan boy.

I have the JessEm that is no longer made. I love it and it was wele worth it for me to install. It does not have any legs so it works great with my saw on a mobile base. I think it is too far away from the blade for ripping and you don't need theat function on a cabinet saw. I have a track saw but I can get far more accurate and repeatable cuts using the slider.

My first saw was a Rockwell 12 and similar to what you are talking about. For occasional use, the slider was OK. The crosscut fence was a pain to remove and then square. If you go the add on route, be sure the fence has a way to automatically set at 90. If you don't want tearout on the bottom, the sliding table must be set within a couple thou above the fixed. It is a fine line between not having the stock hang up on the fixed table but not ride enough above it to chip out the bottom. It is a little easier on a conventional slider as you can clamp the stock to the sliding table close to the blade. My saws have to be mobile so the add table must also be mobile and be anchored enough so moving the saw doesn't knock off the alignment. With a slider a few thou out can drive you crazy as the errors always multiply and never cancel out. Dave

Hi Marshall,
    I have the Grizzly T10233 Sliding Table Attachment installed onto my Grizzly cabinet saw. I think it is simply fabulous. I have built several fixtures/jigs that allow clamping of the work piece in close proximity to the blade. There is some discussion about this in the SMC thread below. I have the slider set about 0.015" above the table saw top, and also parallel to the table saw top. The support legs are not really necessary to support the sliding attachment, but they are adjustable and allow fine tuning of the parallelism between the slider and table saw top. I plan on modifying these support legs so that they attach to the mobile base instead of resting on the floor. This will allow me to conveniently move the saw around in the shop without having to remove, reinstall, and readjust the support legs. It is very quick and easy to square up the fence to the blade when reinstalling the fence. I discuss this in the thread below. Let me know if you have other questions or need more information.
    Thanks,
    David

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?273835-can-someone-please-help-with-a-mechanical-problem-with-my-Grizzly-table-saw

sliding table attachment 1.jpg sliding table attachment 2.jpg Grizzly T10223 Sliding Table Attachment.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Harrison View Post
    I know that SawStop/Grizzly/King/ShopFox and possibly others have sliding table that can attach to a cabinet saw to replace the left wing. I realize that you still wont have the scoring blade so my main question is are they worth the cost and trouble of removing the left wing and moving or cutting the existing fence rails?

Do they have any benefits for ripping or are they just helping with cutting sheet goods?

Thanks.
    Hi Marshall,
    The left wing on my saw was attached with 3 bolts. These same 3 bolts attach the sliding attachment. Cutting the fence rails was simple and straight forward. In the stock configuration this slider will crosscut a little over 48". I mounted my sliding attachment 11" further towards the rear of the saw so it wouldn't be in my way when doing conventional cutting. This still gives me over 36" of crosscut with the slider - which is fine for the work I do. In the stock location, you could rip up to around 50" in length - which may be fine for many applications.
    David

Thanks.
    Marshall, this photo when I had a contractor tablesaw with a sliding table ...

This tablesaw was much used for the 20 years that I owned it. This was replaced by a K3 slider. There is a world of difference between the two formats.

The crosscut wing only did just that - crosscuts. It could not rip. The wing was also quite some distance from the blade - at least 10" - and this would have made ripping of narrow pieces impossible, even if they could somehow be held in position. By contrast, the K3 slider is about 1/2" from the blade ...

The crosscut table is very useful as an upgrade to a traditional tablesaw, but it will not turn it into a slider.

Regards from Perth

Derek

9. Awesome. Do you know the cost of this whole routertable?

E.Brown

Marshall

Yes! adding a dedicated cross cut slider is worth it. I've had the JessEm Mast-R-Slide on my table saw for many years now and just would not want to be without it. It brings a level of repeatability, and functional accuracy, that is well worth the cost. ( It was over $500.00 ten or 12 years ago.) Every now and then one comes up used, but they go quick!
    It's not just an addition for panels. I promise you that you will use it every time you use your table saw. For every cross cut you make. I haven't had a miter on my table saw since it went on.
    Be warned, they are a little bit finicky to get set up the first time. An extra pair of hands will definitely be useful. But once setup, it's nice.
    There is a trick to getting one setup for square using a dial indicator. It only takes a few minutes, but you end up with dead on, no worries, 90 degree cross cuts. Every time!
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 04-30-2019 at 4:40 AM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Thanks guys. David, Derek and Mike went way above what I was expecting.

I would love to do something like this as I don't have the room or money for a true slider. I need to decide if this is worth it or not for my hobby.

Also the wife and I are talking about moving to Europe and living in different countries every 3 months (the normal time for a visit visa). If we decide to do that then I won't be taking the saw. Lots of things to consider. From our trip last month to Italy I learned there were some good deals on used equipment over there but that only woks if I take up permanent residence.
    Marshall
    A Stickley fan boy.

12. I use mine for ripping with I have to make taper cuts. I clamp the wood to the slider and measure the angle in reference to the miter gauge. it is much easier than fiddling with taper jigs. I don't use it much for sheet goods since I cannot bring them into my shop and am usually forced to break them down outside with a track saw.

I put a Robland sliding table attachment on my PM66. I did have to cut a piece off the guide and do a bit of rigging. It required some care in alignment but wasn't difficult. The thing is extremely well made with a heavy cast iron table. I bought it used for a good price.

Was it worth it? Absolutely! I do use it some for crosscutting and precision cuts on plywood broken down beforehand. It has a heavy-duty clamp which makes cutting lots of pieces extremely safe.

JKJ

I would love to do something like this as I don't have the room or money for a true slider. I need to decide if this is worth it or not for my hobby.
    If you can fit a cabinet saw, you can fit a short-stroke sliding table saw. A good example is in that last photo that Derek posted. Short stroke sliders fit in about the same space as a cabinet saw and because they don't have the massive body to support a long slider, you can "rip normally" on them from the familiar position while getting the wonderful precision and repeatability of the true slider for crosscutting. If I had to give up my 8'6" slider, no question, I'd buy a short stroke slider to replace it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have the Grizzly sliding table and love it. I have had it about 5 yrs or so. The legs I have mounted to the mobile base and that works good. I removed the plunge pin and that makes squaring the fence much easier. I am going to try making a flip stop to mount to the movable table on the left side of the slider for the fence to rest again to square it to 90. I do not move that table so once it would be tuned in it should always be set at 90 if that table doesn't get moved.
    Bob