Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alternatives to Teflon tape for Nail Gun Air Connection

Alternatives to Teflon tape for Nail Gun Air Connection

I bought a Harbor Freight 18 gauge brad nailer the other day and changed the quick change fittings to the style that I use in the shop. I removed the original connector on the tool which had a red hardened sealer. I used teflon tape on the replacement connector 3-4 wraps. I have tightened it as tight as I am comfortable with and still have an air leak from the connector threads. I have a friend who had a similar problem and continued to tighten the attached connector, which caused the "metal" of the gun around the thread area to crack, which obviously caused the leak to get worse and made the gun unrepairable. I don't want to over tighten and crack the gun body. Is there a sealant I can coat the threads with that, once dry, will create a seal that will survive at least 80 lbs of air pressure?
    Thanks

Not un-common on cheap fittings. return the tool or use teflon paste

I actually started using the yellow gas pipe tape that’s thicker than the white stuff, not sure if it would do any better though

I also agree the best answer is to return the tool, if it is possible.

Many moons ago when I was a child I remember daddy using cotton fibers plus regular oil based paint ink to seal such connections in a time teflon tape wasn't available. Perhaps that old solution works to you.

Hi Mark,
    I would recommend Loctite thread sealant to seal the fittings on your brad nailer.
    David

https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-492145-Pneumatic-Hydraulic-36-milliliter/dp/B003XZB54O

loctite thread sealant.jpg

Blog Entries
    Teflon tape is not a thread sealant. It is a thread lubricant that merely helps you tighten the joint and does little to stop leaks. Pipe sealants like the red stuff that came on your tool work best.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I use rectorseal t plus 2. It is rated for compressed air, and I've found it to seal very well. It can be pressurized immediately after assembly. You can also use rectorseal 5 which may be easier to find.

Downside to both...they are messy but work when you don't want leaks.

Great info thanks guys!

Best thing I've found is Permatex Aviation Form-A-Gasket No. 3. It seals way better than teflon tape, and stays gummy enough that it never starts to leak later.

https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-8001.../dp/B000HBM3QQ

Service Temperature -65 to 400°F
    Resistant to water, ethylene glycol, non-ethanol containing gasoline, motor oil, transmission fluid, and sea water.
    Good for lots of other purposes, too.

Thanks Jacob!!

We use Rector Seal #5. On gas lines, you not allowed, under code, to use teflon tape, as it can "shred off" and cause gas valves to not close completely. #5 can be messy to work with, but it works!

Thanks Bruce!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    We use Rector Seal #5. On gas lines, you not allowed, under code, to use teflon tape, as it can "shred off" and cause gas valves to not close completely. #5 can be messy to work with, but it works!
    I thought that was what yellow tape for for...

Many cheap Asian tools, use straight BPT. You need an adapter from British to NPT. I believe the British pipe threadform is 55 degrees, like WHITWORTH, not 60 degrees like American and metric.
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 04-29-2019 at 11:12 PM.

Interesting Thanks Bill