Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looking for sawhorse recommendations

"Storehorse" -- strong, lightweight, collapsible, less expensive than most competitors, nice handy platform serving as the horizontal spreader, sacrificial top, and no gee gaws. Without a doubt the best plastic sawhorse I've ever seen. They are available in several strengths, based on the number of aluminum tubes in the legs. The least strong has been more than sufficient for my every task, but we're I stacking sheetrock or parking my car atop them, I would opt for the stronger ones -- I have a mixture of strengths in my shop. Comes with a lightweight plastic top, replaceable with a sacrificial half 2x4 on edge that sits in a channel. A full 3-1/2" would require screwing the 2x into the channel.

Trojan legs -- super strong, very heavy, easy to configure and to store. Uses a 2"x4", x6", x8", or anything as desired for the top span of any length -- no tools or fasteners. I use them for custom sawhorse-based jigs. They are great, but harder to carry as legs or assembled due to their weight.
    Last edited by Wayne Cannon; 05-02-2019 at 1:31 AM.

Blog Entries
    Looks like there are a number of good choices out there. One thing that I really like about the Toughbuilt is that they fold down into something not much bigger than a piece of 4x4. For me in my highly space challenged shop that's very important.

I have bought several sets of the "Rugged Buddy" sawhorse legs. I set up a cutting grid on one set to use with a track saw, and the other sets have been used to make shooting benches for a rifle range. Expensive, but no more so than the Trojan horses. I am saving up for another set of the shorter ones.
    Jon Endres
    Killing Trees Since 1983

I'm a big fan of the Japanese style sawhorses illustrated here:

https://www.finewoodworking.com/2009...mart-sawhorses

Good exercise in joinery too. I've probably made about 20 over the years. A dozen will nest together in a tiny space. If not mortise and tenon, you could make them with dowels, pocket screws, some other joinery of choice.

Blog Entries
    Another vote for Trojan. Well pleased with them and would buy them again.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

I like the style that puts the wide side of the top board facing up thus giving you either a sawhorse or a mini-mini-workbench. I've made two fairly similar to ones Paul Sellers has written about.

Wes,

We have a few different styles I like. We built about 4 pair of the below link for general job-site/shop use. They are sturdy and pretty straight forward to make.

https://www.lumberjocks.com/projects/96307

For manufactured I really like:

http://www.fultoncorp.com/stablemate...teel-sawhorse/

We have a hand full of these as well.

I had the burros for quite a while. They're good but take up too much storage space. Some time back, I got a good set of steel folding sawhorses - I don't remember the brand. They work fine and take a LOT less storage space.

More expensive than the burros, though.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

This is useful info for me
    Thanks

I switched from saw horses to Centipedes a couple years back. They make multiple sizes. LINK
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I really like the Rugged Buddys by Target Precision. They are a bit pricey but they are solid and nearly bomb proof. We have set them up with planks for an elevated solid work platform without any concerns about capacity. I attach the legs to a piece of microlam for a sub base that will stay flat and straight, then attach a 2x6 flat for a sacrificial surface on top of that. I own 2 sets and use them at the job site and around the shop all of the time. They look good enough for a quicky picnic table if I need one at home.

I like the Rugged Buddys, have 2 sets that get used a lot both at jobsites and around the shop. I attach the legs to a piece of microlam to keep them flat and straight, then attach a 2x6 flat for a sacrificial top. These horses do not rock or wobble at all. We have used them to build an elevated work platform many times with out a second thought. They are a little pricey, but I doubt that they will ever need to be replaced.