Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for sawhorse recommendations

Looking for sawhorse recommendations

After using the same pair of home built saw horses for the last 30 years I finally got disgusted enough with their weight and lack of collapsing to take them apart and look for alternatives.

I'm looking for suggestions from this group for a good set of saw horses. I'm not against having two sets, one for common tasks around the house and one for in the shop. My preference would be to find a set that works well at holding plywood sheet goods for cutting with a circular saw while also being good around the house (building a deck, temporary work surface, raised work platform for high work).

Does anyone have a purchased or home built set that they really like? My preference is for something that either stacks neatly or folds up to limit the amount of space required for storage. Adjustable height would be great but I also like the idea of simplicity. Please post links or pictures with comments as I'm guessing there are others that may want/like this information.

Thank you,
    Wes

I have a set of walk up horses and a set of the yellow fold up ones from HD love the walk ups but they are expensive

Blog Entries
    I had my eye out for the longest time for a good set of sawhorse plans, but one day in Lee Valley they had some ToughBuilt horses on sale so I bought em. They are fantastic. Super sturdy & easy to fold/unfold. The ones I got are rated at 1300 lbs each, which is way more than I need. They also have smaller, lighter models.

4. I have three sets. One set, from 30 years ago, homemade with 2x4s and hardware brackets. Cut the legs at an angle and very solid.

The second set are Toughbuilt TB-C700. Heavy, very adjustable, rock solid. I use them for cutting 4x8 plywood. Should last forever. Check the internet for their features.

For quick work, I have a set of Lowe's Ebco 24-in w by 29 high steel, 1000 lbs capacity. $18.00 each. Foldup, well made, and plenty of sharp places to cut you. However, if I could only have one pair, this would be it. Incredibly strong, a bargain price, and fast setup and takedown.

I have another pair holding up a drill press, heavy vice, loads of tools, and a 3/4 sheet of plywood base. For the money these can't be beat. Wear gloves.

Not a fan of plastic saw horses, but that's me.
    "If only those heathen atheists hadn't taken God, Jesus, and the Bible out of schools, God and Jesus could have thrown a Bible at the shooter."

I think this is one one Frank referenced also.
    A contractor friend got a set from LC, loves them. Not cheep.
    http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/pag...=1,43456,75637

I have two fairly expensive options for you:

Trojan sawhorse legs. These attach to any 2x material (2x4, 2x6,...2x12) of any length to make a horse. I have found it handy to make a 6' wide set of horses when laying out and cutting lots of pieces for a shed, for instance. Since the top is entirely wood, it is sacrificial. Not that you'd need it, but these are rated at 3,000 pounds per horse. When you put pressure on them, they are also self-leveling.

Here's a video: https://youtu.be/ATeD7wW_vi8

Kreg Mobile Project Center. This is a combination of sawhorse and work table. I have two and find them very useful, though mostly in the shop. I wouldn't want to carry them around too much.

Here's a video: https://youtu.be/w5jrhHStJKI

7. I have the fold up Kobalt ones from Lowe’s. They are nice(ish). I wouldn’t buy again. They are flimsy and when I try to cut sheet goods I find they wobble to much.

The yellow ones that other have mentioned, from HD, are they sturdier?

I have the set of DeWalt that HD sells. I am very happy with them but they are not cheap.

I have four matching Burro brand from I think Blue Borg. For the price I am happy, stackable but not foldable. Adequate for sheet goods, but I am accustomed to wrangling the sheet around on whatever horses I have and I am FIRMLY in the habit of clamping down a straight guide - usually 2x4- to guide circular saw cuts on sheet goods. Light weight for dragging around easy.

For the price I am happy, nice set of positive features. Downsides they aren't super sturdy as stand alones and for not much more money and just a little time I could build something a LOT sturdier, but it would be heavy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Coates View Post
    I think this is one one Frank referenced also.
    A contractor friend got a set from LC, loves them. Not cheep.
    http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/pag...=1,43456,75637
    Yes, those are the ones that I have.

Another vote for Trojan. You can use whatever length 2x lumber that fits your need for a particular job. I've used 5' 2x4s on each horse for spraying a bunch of case/base lengths at the same time...very efficient. Also good for ripping sheet goods as the sacrificial 2x stock saves your blade.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

I have and have used Burros--They are ridiculously cheap and stack. But not foldable. The EBCO SS-29 Steel sawhorses, are lighter, stronger, stack and fold up. You'll need to add a 1x top to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Billups View Post
    After using the same pair of home built saw horses for the last 30 years I finally got disgusted enough with their weight and lack of collapsing to take them apart and look for alternatives.

I'm looking for suggestions from this group for a good set of saw horses. I'm not against having two sets, one for common tasks around the house and one for in the shop. My preference would be to find a set that works well at holding plywood sheet goods for cutting with a circular saw while also being good around the house (building a deck, temporary work surface, raised work platform for high work).

Does anyone have a purchased or home built set that they really like? My preference is for something that either stacks neatly or folds up to limit the amount of space required for storage. Adjustable height would be great but I also like the idea of simplicity. Please post links or pictures with comments as I'm guessing there are others that may want/like this information.
    Have a look at the Bora Centipede system. I have a few of these, in various sizes, and they are ridiculously good and versatile. They collapse into taking up no space at all. Toolnut sells them. They aren't expensive. Very cool.

I have my eye on buying a couple of Rigids from Home Depot at 50 buck each in the near future. They look to be well made with easy adjustable height and has a 2x4 (supplied) cross that I don't worry about cutting into.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-3...0710/305360612

Go to Home Depot or Lowes and get your hands on their options. That's what I did and I ended up with a sturdy set from Lowes for $20. Fold up easily and I just move them out into the driveway when I need them. I've created a work table out of two 6' 2x4s and a piece of 3/4" plywood. I use it for cutting or staining or anything else I need extra space for or for things I don't want to do on my workbench.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.