Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for sawhorse recommendations

I was in a hurry one day and bought the Stanley "31 in. 2-Way Adjustable Folding Sawhorses" from the Home Depot. Utter crap. What a mistake. Don't go there! I really need to donate them to the rummage sale and move on, nothing about them works well-- parts fall off, they fall over at the slightest provocation, they aren't even very compact when folded up, and they weren't even cheap.

I often set up a door on sawhorses as a temporary work table.

I'd bought the Toughbuilt from Home Depot after my old plastic sawhorses had broken. They are definitely a stronger platform for work-holding, but they take more time to set up or disassemble. After a year with them, I missed the simple deployment of the old plastic style, and bought a pair of Blue Hawk plastic sawhorses. These are not as stable and will eventually break, too, but in the meantime they have a convenient space in my shop they tuck in to, and are super quick to set up.

I'd choose based on how you use them.

Matt

I ended up getting two of Kregs sawhorses, not cheap, I believe 125. apiece. They are great, your options with them are numerous, plus when folded up they take up very little room. They come with a automaxx clamp also.

I've made 3 sets like these out of spare 2x lumber I had. 3 sets total so far. Rock Solid and they nest perfectly on top of each other, currently have all 6 stacked in the corner. I have poured 3 kitchens worth of concrete counter tops on them and wouldn't hesitate to put my truck on them. They are a little heavy though.

I had a set of the fatmax ones and they were OK. I used them as a workbench with a sheet of 3/4 across the top. I wanted something sturdier as a bench but didnt want to invest in a full workbench yet. So i bought the kreg mobile workspace and a track horse. Threw a couple 2x4s on it and a sheet of 3/4 and it is very sturdy. I plane on it without it budging. Setup was about $275 But both come with kreg clamp and some clamping solutions

50D2AFF3-ABF4-42D7-A223-E73625FD9B4A.jpg50D2AFF3-ABF4-42D7-A223-E73625FD9B4A.jpgThese are a couple of mine. My older wooden SH’s were functional, but getting rickety so I welded these up. They are pretty heavy, but I could put the building on them. They sit flat and stay where placed unless I put to heavy a side load on them. The tops are sacrificial. The red X’s Indicate the location of the lags to be avoided. I am making a couple melamine saddles to go on them for in/out feed support. Btw, the raw concrete vs the gray surface? No surface, epoxy or otherwise will hold up to welding splatter, so I just didn’t finish that metal area.

Yep, Toughbuilt from Home Depot are where its at IMO. I have three that I use for a lot of things, including as a sacrificial table for use with my track saw.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

After using some home-built oak saw horses for 15 years, they had seen better days. I upgraded to the folding and height-adjustable horses from Kreg. Sold by Woodcraft or online. About $120 each but they fold up for storage out of the way.

I have 2 folding worktable bases I made by modifying a plan in "Big Ideas for Small Workshops 2013". They fold up to just a few inches thick but form a very sturdy square base when open. For breaking down panel goods, I open both of mine and lay a sacrificial piece of foam insulation on them. Perfect! Without the foam, I'll open 1 to hold parts of projects or even lumber waiting to be milled.
    For the extremely rare occasions I want an actual saw horse, a cheap set from the orange store is sufficient.

a third vote for Trojans ( along with Scott and Brian). Very stout, easy to collapse, I got the higher ones (36? vs 32's?)

I like to keep several sets of sawhorses around: one set folds flat, one set is made from 2x's with plywood brackets, and the heavyweight set is joined oak.

The only type of saw horse I don't like is the plastic type. Years ago I was on a timberframe install job where we were putting up the frame and also installing all the tongue and groove ceiling material. This T&G was 1 1/2" thick pine and had been stacked up on a set of plastic saw horses and admittedly the stack was large.

We arrived onsite one morning and while chatting and getting tools out etc I set my coffee down on the end of the stack. That coffee was all it took to collapse the stack!

The crash of that stack hitting the deck shook the foundation and coffee went everywhere. Luckily nobody was hurt.

Blog Entries
    I made this saw bench.

https://s26462.pcdn.co/wp-content/up...0/Sawbench.pdf

I also made a small saw horse the same height to support the ends of long boards,

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    I was in a hurry one day and bought the Stanley "31 in. 2-Way Adjustable Folding Sawhorses" from the Home Depot. Utter crap. What a mistake. Don't go there! I really need to donate them to the rummage sale and move on, nothing about them works well-- parts fall off, they fall over at the slightest provocation, they aren't even very compact when folded up, and they weren't even cheap.

I'd add that they are so bad that they piss you off every time you see them. Had an expensive tile saw sitting on a set, they or course self folded when they were slightly bumped which caused an expensive wreck. I was happy when mine finally got run over by a customer.

Another happy owner of the Trojan product. Very solid. For years my workbench was three sheets of 4 x 8 x 3/4 ply screwed together and laid across 2 x 6s on these legs. Two of us felt safe standing on the surface as we assembled some larger projects.

Also built the sawbench noted by Lowell after seeing it in the corner of a picture in Chris Schwarz's book on workbenches. Nice item to have in the shop.

The HD toughbilt are good.
    Some Blue Tools
    Some Yellow Tools
    A Grizzly Collection
    ShapeokoXL
    Blue and White 50 Watt