Thread: Key-Less Jacobs Chuck

Key-Less Jacobs Chuck

I just got a key-less Jacobs Chuck to use in the tail stock. It's a very robust chuck; a fair bit heavier than my keyed chuck. I think it's for a drill press. Is there a key-less chuck that's specific for a lathe? Is this heavier chuck ok to use in the tail stock? Also, how to you seat the chuck in the morse taper stem so that it's secure and doesn't move? Thanks.

To seat the chuck make sure the taper for the chuck is correct and the taper and receiving socket is clean. Put them together and taper tip down, slam it down on your bench, or a sheet of ply/MDF on the bench. The inertia of the chuck suddenly stopping seats the chuck on to the Morse taper adaptor.

I just give the chuck a tap on the face with a hammer with a piece of hardwood in between them since I don't want to remove my tailstock. As long as the taper is correct the only issue with having a large chuck is in the unlikely event that it interferes with what you are trying to do.

Thanks for the insights.

Realise that when yo put it i the tail stock, you will likely have to extend the tail stock quill about 1/2 in. before it will seat. At least it is that way on two of the lathes I have owned..

Agreed Al. I think the last 1/2" is for the self ejection aspect to work.