Thread: Best Lube for SKF 1204 Self-Aligning Ball Bearings?

Best Lube for SKF 1204 Self-Aligning Ball Bearings?

I inherited an old Crescent 8" light jointer from the 1940s. According to the manual I found for this jointer it says the jointer uses SKF 1204 bearings (self-aligning or spherical ball bearings). I checked the manufacturers website with no luck. The jointer is fitted with cups for lubrication that don't have screw top lids so no grease. The bearings are still in good shape so I don't plan to replace them. What is the best lube to use for this jointer? TIA!

Being I have plenty here at the ranch I'd be inclined to add maybe a half dozen drops of bar/chain oil ocassionally.

If you are running oil bath, Mobil DTE is a good all around choice. The guys over at OWWM will have Crescent experience and be more exact. Dave

Velocite #10 is what folks at owwm recommend, and is what I use on my Crescent 12” from the 1940’s. If your bearings seem to run hot with that, then maybe try velocite 6, which is a little thinner.

Thanks for the information about DTE and Velocite.

Is there a good place to buy pint/qt qty at a good price?

How do I know how much to add? Does the bottom 1/3 of the bearing sit in oil? Do I fill the cup until I see it coming up into the cup?

The oil cup should be placed so it is in line with the bottom of the shaft so you can't overfill. The oil should also exit through the shaft if you do overfill. About 30-40% of the bearing covered is right. Too much oil will heat up the bearing as will too much grease, hence the ability to leak the excess. I'm not familiar with the Crescent so it may be somewaht different in design.

Zoro is as cheap as any but 1 gallon is the smallest amount I've seen. About $20. Dave

I think they would come with a polyrex em grease 25-30% fill Not good to mix different greases. You might call the local Industrial Dist for SKF and ask them what's in it.

https://www.mobil.com/English-US/Gre...yrex-EM-Series

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    The Crescent bearings run in oil, I use the Velocite also. For the fill amount, I use just below the head shaft as a fill line, which is just above the bottom of my oil cups. Any more and it leaks past the felt seals

Mark and Dave, thanks for your suggestions and help in finding lube at $20/gal instead of $20/pt.

Brian, I agree that these bearings would probably come from the factory with grease in them today. It seems oil was the preferred lube in the 1940s so I plan to continue using oil in my 1940s era jointer.