Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Professional Bandsaw Recommendations

I think the OP needs to give us his budget too. $1000, $2000, $5000. Depending on how much he's willing to spend really makes a difference as to what models and features he can expect to get.

Wonder if the OP has even read the replies so far ? Another hit and run.

He’s here. Just turned notifications on so I can see when replies come in.

Budget is about $1000. But I’m open to increasing it if my budget isn’t accurate.

Blog Entries
    $1k won't buy you a "professional" saw new -- they start at around 4k. You may be able to find something decent in the used market for a bit more than that. If you are pretty firm on your price and want to buy new, Rikon makes a nice bandsaw for about that price -- I helped a friend set one up and was impressed with the quality of the saw for the price.

Don't get rid of your current saw. You'll be surprised by how much flexibility having two (or more) bandsaws provides. Michael Fortune has 8.

Mike

As far as specs I donÂ’t really have much. Just know I want the ability to do some resawing and something that can handle more powerful projects. This wouldnÂ’t be for large slabbing cutting. So thinking something middle of the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike King View Post
    $1k won't buy you a "professional" saw new -- they start at around 4k. You may be able to find something decent in the used market for a bit more than that. If you are pretty firm on your price and want to buy new, Rikon makes a nice bandsaw for about that price -- I helped a friend set one up and was impressed with the quality of the saw for the price.

Don't get rid of your current saw. You'll be surprised by how much flexibility having two (or more) bandsaws provides. Michael Fortune has 8.

Mike
    This. I have 3 and am looking at a 4th.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Devine View Post
    He’s here. Just turned notifications on so I can see when replies come in.

Budget is about $1000. But I’m open to increasing it if my budget isn’t accurate.
    A Laguna 14/12 would be excellent at right about that number.

Used market is wide open at that price. But you would have to be patient and be willing to make minor repairs and get the machine dialed in.

Used saws...older American iron...Walker turner 14 and 16 inch, Powermatic and delta 20 inch, Crescent 20 inch, older 14 inch American Deltas, Davis and Wells, Oliver 192, Oliver 217, Oliver 117...Boice Craine 14 inch...the list is very long.

You can find real deals on older American saws if you are willing to do restoration work. I passed on a decent running Boice Crane 14 inch saw for $100. Needed cosmetics but was mechanically perfect.

I have seen quite a few used Italian 14 and 16 inch saws go for under a grand. Probably 15 or 20, actually.

Google IRS auctions...watch them and watch other auctions.

Find other woodworkers in your area that know how to repair and dial in machines, they will usually be happy to teach.

Inca (not Incra) built a fantastic couple of bandsaws that come up for under a grand frequently. There is an Inca yahoo group where they often come up for sale. They are Swiss made and work fantastically. I know of one of the three wheel variety that is used on a daily basis to cut veneer for musical instruments.

Paid ~$1500 for my used MiniMax 16. And ~$1700 for my used (like new) Agazzani 20.

Budget enough for a decent machine of quality.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Devine View Post
    As far as specs I donÂ’t really have much. Just know I want the ability to do some resawing and something that can handle more powerful projects. This wouldnÂ’t be for large slabbing cutting. So thinking something middle of the road.
    Sounds like a Laguna 14/12 would serve you well.

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    Paid ~$1500 for my used MiniMax 16. And ~$1700 for my used (like new) Agazzani 20.

Budget enough for a decent machine of quality.
    Both excellent bandsaws.

11. Perhaps you might focus on a bandsaw that will give you professional results. And that depends on you.

There are people who use a 70 year-old-Delta that turn out marvelous works of art.

There are people who use a Minimax or a Italian Laguna who turn out trash.

Buying a "professional" oven won't make you an professional baker. Same with bandsaws.
    "If only those heathen atheists hadn't taken God, Jesus, and the Bible out of schools, God and Jesus could have thrown a Bible at the shooter."

If you are looking for a machine that can do a fair amount of resawing in the 10"-14" range, a budget of 2000-2500 for used would make life easier. An ACM 540 or 640 ( also badged as Felder and Bridgewood ), a Minimax, Centauro, or SCM 500 or 600 would be more than adequate assuming you are not resawing every day. A three phase machine with a $300 vfd can go for less than a single phase equivalent.

John here has good things to say about the heavier Grizzly saw but I assume it is in the 3000 range new. You can make due with lesser machines but that has a cost too. Dave

Parts

I can't comment on the popular consumer resaws because I make my own for the fun of it. I learned long ago that carbide-tipped blades cut smoother than regular set blades and the wider the blade, the faster the feed rate. By that reasoning, I decided my resaw had to run 1" 2TPI CT blades comfortably (enough tension on a sufficient two-wheeled frame) with enough horsepower to plow through 18" hard wood before the cows came home. I chose 14" wheels because that is the size limit of my machinist's lathe. I use machined 6061 aluminum billet wheels because they're perfectly balanced, centered, round, and spherically crowned. Most folks won't spend that kind of money on a resaw but that's how you get veneers so smooth they don't need planning after every cut. For the same reason racing cars use magnesium wheels on independent suspensions, I use aluminum blade transport wheels. The blade doesn't flap and I don't need a cast iron frame to reduce vibration because there is no vibration. I put the tension spring on roller bearings to compensate for deflection in the kerf. Major brands put their spring tensioner on a slide that acts more like a brake. All the little goodies you want cost more to build in. Plus: No fence will perform the kind of production resawing you want so you should be looking at feed rails and sleds with a pre-set drift angle incorporated into the feed system. My latest veneer saw had a 2HP motor and it wasn't quite enough to push a dull 1" -2TPI CT blade through 16" of cherry as fast as I would like it to. I got used to it cutting like butter before we cut all the nails we could find. Next time I'll use 3HP. Ask your local machinist to cut you a pair of 14" bandsaw blade transport wheels. Sit down when he reads you the price. Then you need drive and idler shafts and a tensioner with tracking adjustment. You're probably better off hot-rodding the saw you got. I get 18" cut depth and it runs anything from 1/8" to 1" blades. Bandsaws are a whole different animal when money is no object.

Grob is probably the best but only if you get the variable speed model so it has enough speed to cut wood. Also the easiest to lift since they all have a 3/4 threaded lifting eye hole in the upper arm.
    Powermatic or Delta 20" saws are good but make sure they run fast enough for wood. Some are low speed for metal only, some are variable and some are high speed wood only.
    Bil lD