Thread: How Many Coats of Waterlox for Walnut Countertop?

How Many Coats of Waterlox for Walnut Countertop?

Built an edge grain walnut countertop for the laundry room. After two light coats of garnet shellac to enhance the depth I have started applying thin coats of Waterlox Orginial Sealer using the blue shop towel method. How many coats should be applied? At the moment there is about 5 and the last coat will be Waterlox Satin. The countertop will sit over the washer and dryer; there is not a sink.

I've had much better luck using foam brushes with Waterlox than wiping, and that seems to be what they recommend. I'd wipe the edges though (watch for drips). Waterlox recommends four brushed coats of original/sealer then one satin, which sounds about right. That would be like 15 +/- wiped coats.

https://waterlox.com/project-help/gu...0-33992c09f550
    Last edited by Bennett Ostroff; 04-29-2019 at 12:09 AM.

I like the build with 6 coats wiped using folded cheese cloth. 24 hrs to dry between coats.

You might check out this recent article on applying Waterlox. I've used Waterlox a good bit and always struggled a little bit with dialing in my process. This article helped me a lot on my latest project of finishing a lot of Cherry (floating shelves, mantel, interior stair treads, bench tops) and I happened to read it right before I started the finishing process. I followed the process pretty faithfully and am really pleased with the results.

You've obviously already started your finishing regimen, but consider it food for thought or for anyone else out there searching for info.

https://www.popularwoodworking.com/techniques/finishing/flawless-finishing-with-waterlox/

Thanks for the article. I finished the countertop but have several other products to complete including stairs and a mantle.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Mitchell View Post
    You might check out this recent article on applying Waterlox. I've used Waterlox a good bit and always struggled a little bit with dialing in my process. This article helped me a lot on my latest project of finishing a lot of Cherry (floating shelves, mantel, interior stair treads, bench tops) and I happened to read it right before I started the finishing process. I followed the process pretty faithfully and am really pleased with the results.

You've obviously already started your finishing regimen, but consider it food for thought or for anyone else out there searching for info.

https://www.popularwoodworking.com/techniques/finishing/flawless-finishing-with-waterlox/