Thread: Drill press wedge for Jet JDP-17MF

Drill press wedge for Jet JDP-17MF

So I recently purchased a new drill press (Jet JDP-17MF) and it did not come with the wedge / drift key to remove the chuck and arbor. I have looked up the part number (10607303) and it is no longer in stock and I can not find what size it is. This is my first nice drill press and I’d like to do some cleaning/tuning on it. I sent a message to Jet twice about two weeks ago with no response. Could someone please help me find what type of drift key I need.

Side note: this is my first time posting on here so I hope I provided all the needed information. I’m semi new to woodworking (2-3 years) but I’m learning each and every day. Also I purchased this used from someone on Craigslist.

Consider making one from 1/4" steel strap or a set can be purchased that may be satisfactory.

https://www.msdiscounttool.com/catal...ucts_id=105231

Thanks! I have seen the sets on amazon and other places. Do I just use the one that seems to fit in there the best? I have never used a drift key before.

Use the drift that doesn't slide completely through and tap it with a hammer. The purpose is to move the 2 tapers apart possibly as little as 0.001" and gravity will take over from there. I suggest placing a piece of lumber on the DP table and run the chuck down within about an inch of the lumber and lock the quill lock to keep it there, then remove the chuck. Or if you become experienced catch the chuck in your hand as it falls.
    Last edited by robert wiggins; 04-28-2019 at 6:26 PM.

You will probably need to run the quill down most of the way anyway to gain access to the slot.