Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shop Made Tool Boxes for New Power Tools

I show up on any install with a dozen or more individual power tools. There's no way I'm lugging all those oversized metal cases to and from a job when a couple of cloth bags will do it. I suppose most tool buyers just don't see the utility of and aren't willing to pay the premium for a metal case.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Deakin View Post
    I use old leather tote/ handbags provided by my wife

They have the advantage of being easy to transport take up less space in workshop cupboards and they look good
    But do you have shoes to match? Just joshing of course! That's great way to re-purpose something. But I think it's a ploy to allow her to purchase more handbags!

I have picked up quartersawn cedar fence boards when they go on sale at the local BORG. I let them dry over time. I then plane one side and square up one edge, and glue up the boards. Rip it to the size needed to make a box for whatever tool. Then plane the opposite side to clean up and flatten. It has made some very nice, lightweight, inexpensive, storage boxes. Routers with multiple bases, edge guides, etc. Shop made Box joint fixtures, dovetail jigs, hand planes, etc.

Most of the boards are clean, with no knots! small hinges, and a latch of choice. I have also installed some carry handles on the longer boxes.

What ever feels right. That has been my approach.

Blog Entries
    I would like to make my own sheet metal boxes one day. Takes tools I don't have room for at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas McCurnin View Post
    The foreman basically told me to make a frigging tool box (on my own time) before I showed up on Monday. I guess I'll have to start building them again.
    I too, had the boss telling me to build some boxes for the tools. And on my own time. Didn't have much room at home at the time, so I got permission to stay after on the job site (we built custom homes) and make them. I was able to get half of them done on the first night, and the rest the second night. After that, he made me make some new ones for some of his tools. Actually, company tools, but same idea.

Once the basic ones were complete, I started upgrading them about once a quarter. Making them out of oak or maple, usually leftovers, and not plywood. I also took the time to size them so they would also work a second job. Stand it this way and it would work as a block the same height as the chop saw. Another tool box was the perfect height for a saw bench.