Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Underhood repeller

Unhappy Underhood repeller

Living in rural area has own benefits. But mice or squirrels chewing wires and hoses in the cars not one of it.
    I already replace two hoses and some wires in the two cars we own. Kind of expensive to say a least. Now I am looking for something to prevent it.
    After looking on internet, I found THESE electronic repeller. By review looks like it working. I am going to try, but if anybody has own experience, I would be greatly appreciate your help to choose.
    Thank you, Ed.

Blog Entries
    My neice purchased electronic mouse and squirrel repelling devices for her house and they did no good whatsoever.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 04-28-2019 at 2:38 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Talking

Yes, living rural does have its benefits and I've taken advantage of that for many years. With the mouse population depleted she has moved to gophers as a food source and squirrels remain on the periphery chattering the warning signal that Missy-Starbright-Goldylox-Butterbutt is on the prowl. I haven't had to empty mouse traps for a long long time. The voodoo methods can remain in the marketplace for those other folks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

From the experience of owning a car shop and seeing the damage that mice and rats do to cars left outside, I can only say a car not garaged is a total disaster waiting to happen. Just this year we have done several $3000+ jobs for rodent damage. One was $7,000.
    Just this week, I watched as one of the mechanics did $800 of cleanup just to safely dig into the car to start to find the extent of the damage. Cleaning the engine compartment with cleaners no longer available in CA and working in a hazardous waste suit. With the Hantavirus issues with rat infestations, he was seriously considering refusing to work on the car, period. Basically a car that was almost totaled by a rat.

Unfortunately I can't have a cat. First, because we have a three dogs and none of them willing to catch a mice, but glad to chasing squirrels. Plus daughter has an allergy on cats.
    Ed

Have you tried ordinary mouse traps? Look at you tube videos of home made traps that can catch multiple mice per night.

Keep mouse traps in both my RV and my toy car I seldom drive... just get in the habit of keeping fresh peanut butter on them and most importantly, CHECK them DAILY..

I think its been researched that the majority of online reviews for anything, are fake.

I read, years ago, that the astronomers at a high mountain observatory(Palomar?) had marmots chewing stuff under the hoods of vehicles. The only method that worked was to leave the hood open so it was bright as day in the engine compartment. They were left open at nigh as well.
    I had a little furry animal chew the main harness wires in my old Datsun while camping. Engine turned over but did not start. Looked under hood and he was on top of fender inside hole where wire harness came out. I was able to see one cut wire and several stripped and shorted ones. If he had been in one inch more I could not have wrapped stripped wires with handiwrap ans spliced cut wire with a sewing needle shoved into both pieces and wrapped in handiwrap
    Bill D

This is kind of pessimistic point of view -
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    I think its been researched that the majority of online reviews for anything, are fake.
    I don't know if it coincidental, but I have a good experience with ultrasound mice repellent, powered from regular outlet. I installed 4 of these devices inside big (1200 sq.ft) barn. It is ON for last year and the half and I have no mouse infestation in it. Not even poop drops, as I can see. And yes, it was a lot of mouse damages before that.

Coming back to online reviews, it is not very difficult reading some review to identify fake or questionable review. But, if you start looking for item's review in different places on internet, like spec. forums, you maybe able to make some decision about item.

Mouse traps - how did you place it under the hood? I understand with stationary vehicle, or rarely used.
    Ed.

Lots of pack rat problems here
    Needed to have 2 cars worked on using some methods.
    rid-a-rat (dot com) works for me (Knock on wood)
    But I do see complaints about this online too.

Quote Originally Posted by Eduard Nemirovsky View Post
    Living in rural area has own benefits. But mice or squirrels chewing wires and hoses in the cars not one of it.
    I already replace two hoses and some wires in the two cars we own. Kind of expensive to say a least. Now I am looking for something to prevent it.
    After looking on internet, I found THESE electronic repeller. By review looks like it working. I am going to try, but if anybody has own experience, I would be greatly appreciate your help to choose.
    Thank you, Ed.
    Nice article about this in the Detroit Free Press a while ago:

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...les/578398002/

Part of the problem now is the use of wires that seem to attract rodents, in a misguided attempt to green up the car. As per the article, and some other stuff I've read, Toyota is/was facing a class action lawsuit over it.

I had a rat terrier once that just lived to kill. Rodents that is. Otherwise we have had cats, till the coyote population got so big they caught and killed both the rat terrier and the cats. Started cutting about 10" pieces of 2 and 3" pipe and wiring just one bite rat and mouse killer inside, by drilling a hole through the pipe and fastening like a safety pin. This year, a young cat has showed up and made a home here, and no more mice. She hunts every day, even though she has 4 babies in the garage.

Mothballs, put a handfull of mothballs in a ladies sock under tye hood. Works like a charm.

After a $500 wire harness repair job our mechanic said to put chunks of original Irish Spring bar soap in the engine compartment. He's a country boy also.
    "Beat It To Fit, Paint It To Match Custom Remodelers" Exclusive distributor of Beckley's Quarter Inch Paint"