Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Window Replacement??

Window Replacement??

I have started the process of looking for replacement windows and sliding patio door and also Bay Window. I am looking to do just replacements (sash and tracks as a unit) I have checked Replacement windows by Anderson with their different window material and they are very expensive.

Today I looked at Sunrise Windows (Restoration grade) Has anyone used these windows and can you give some feedback?? Talked to a salesman and of course he had all the data to show they are the best windows on the market and made comparisons to others. I told him that if I talked to each company they would do the exact same thing. So I am throwing it out here to see if anyone has these windows and what their thoughts are?? Thanks.
    John T.

Buy the best you can afford imop..

Cheap windows Re just that, cheap..

I’m a cabinet maker and former custom home builder. I wouldn’t put anything in my house other than Marvin, kolbe, or paella. And I wouldn’t use anything but their top of the line offering.

I did all the widows in my 1926 1600 sqft bungalow a few years ago with Marvin replacements well I did six new construction also. I think the total was like $22k delivered not installed. I dont regret the purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    Buy the best you can afford imop..

Cheap windows Re just that, cheap..

I’m a cabinet maker and former custom home builder. I wouldn’t put anything in my house other than Marvin, kolbe, or paella. And I wouldn’t use anything but their top of the line offering.

I did all the widows in my 1926 1600 sqft bungalow a few years ago with Marvin replacements well I did six new construction also. I think the total was like $22k delivered not installed. I dont regret the purchase.
    These windows are suppose to be better than any of those and they are definitely not cheap. But looking for someone who has used them.
    John T.

John - I live in an old farm house built in 1892, and between the shop and my 2nd floor office, and the 4 bedroom house, we have 33 Sunrise windows. Most were installed about 15 years ago, before we bought the place, but I've had 3 more installed. They are split about 50/50 between doublehungs and awnings. The dblhungs all work flawlessly, tilt in for cleaning, have both locks and vent locks, and not one has blown a seal and fogged yet. Same for the awning windows, and I have not even had a crank come off yet. I have no complaints at all. The crew who put them in for me did an excellent job, and were in and out quickly. They took the old dblhungs out, removed the parting and blind stops, wrapped the exterior and new blind stop with aluminum, installed the window, caulked and actually cleaned up.

They are not cheap windows - they are reasonably priced. Pay for the big name marketing if you want, but in my experience you don't need to.

John,

How old are the windows in your house? And how old is your house?

If historic I would encourage you to restore and weatherseal your existing windows and then put on good storm windows.

My put Marvin sash kits in my previous home. That prevented losing a lot of glass area as most replacement window do. I installed them myself, from the inside, so no need for the big ladders that I can't handle by myself. I was only there 4 years after installing them, but they worked great and showed no signs of failing glass seals etc. I used Aluminum Clad.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bartley View Post
    John,

How old are the windows in your house? And how old is your house?

If historic I would encourage you to restore and weatherseal your existing windows and then put on good storm windows.
    Oh I am in no danger there. I have been here 35 years and say the house was built early 1970's Have to look. I have the old single pane windows with storm windows on. The person I talked to did a good job explaining but have not given the go to get an estimate yet. Just getting my feet wet in this area for now. They looked like a nice window and being their top grade line they have some good selling points. I did have Renewal by Anderson down and his estimate is very high, even with all the sales pitches. This is a ranch house so installation is simple. I will be getting siding and new roof next year so any construction they need to do is fine with me especially with the patio door and bay window.
    John T.

Blog Entries
    About 20 years ago we replaced 23 windows in our house with Great Lakes Gold vinyl windows. They come with a lifetime warranty. Since then we have had two thermopanes leak and the company promptly sent replacement sealed window glass units that fit perfectly. We have had no other problems with our windows. These were vinyl replacement windows, some were double hung and some were side sliders. The double hung windows all tilt in for ease of cleaning.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I am really looking for owners of these windows. They too come with lifetime warrenty that is transferrable if selling house. They have triple pane glass with block and tackle mechanism and not springs.
    John T.

If you are residing your house I would get new construction windows. I did this about 10 years ago and I am happy that I did. better windows and better sealing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    If you are residing your house I would get new construction windows. I did this about 10 years ago and I am happy that I did. better windows and better sealing.
    Exactly this.

I don't own Sunrise windows so I have no personal opinion on them. You can find reviews on several windows, new and replacement, vinyl and other materials at Thewindowdog.com.

I ordered Marvin Infinity windows a couple weeks ago. They're fiberglass and have to be installed by a dealer.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Jerry - they have to be installed by a contractor, but not a dealer. Hopefully you're not being "up charged" by the contractor trying to limit your choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    X3 I just had this done at my cottage and it my friend who is a builder did it and recommended it too.

Will not use new construction windows because rooms are finished and moldings in place and not starting over again. Thanks for the suggestion though. Thewindowdog.com. I have read reviews on there. Most are good but always have one or two bad ones.
    John T.